Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Which IP would you most like to write for?

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by tirial, May 4, 2020.

1. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire Scribe

If you could write official material for any existing I.P or fictional world, which one would it be?

Please note, I did not say which one would you like to own, since everyone would choose Harry Potter due to all the zeros.

Last edited by a moderator: October 6, 2020
  2. Post-Life Crisis

Post-Life Crisis New Member

DC Universe

3. porridge

porridge Member

Ya canna do worse than t'films.
    Iain M. Banks

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

@porridge. I never took you for a Culture fan

5. porridge

porridge Member

Nay Culture. Espadar Street.

6. tirial

Extro by Alfred Bester

7. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

Prototype

8. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

9. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

What Prototype 2?

10. porridge

porridge Member

Now ye're soundin' like a Highlander fan.

11. tirial

Highlander? Now there's one I'd love to get a licence for.

12. WendyGamble

WendyGamble New Member

I don't want to write for an existing, built universe, but I have a question. All I can think of for IP is "internet protocol." What term are you using?

13. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

IP - I think they mean Intellectual Property.

I'm more happy reading other people's output than thinking what I'd write for my own.

14. I'm confused of the term you used here like I.P. You didn't specify it. But since you're asking to write for, I may guess that this is ownership which entitles a writer for his Intellectual Property.

Well, you can't write for other sites and claim it yours for the site would claim it as theirs for the writings in that site are copyrighted. Though you are the author by the property right belongs to the site ownership. I think it is clearly stipulated in its terms and conditions that whatever is written as well as the images belong to the site.

Well, in my case to claim what I have written as my sole intellectual property is to write for my own blogsite or website. I could have exclusive claim for my own posts and articles written.

15. Post-Life Crisis

Post-Life Crisis New Member

See post above:
    Licences for Intectual Property are available from the owners to let you get permission to write for copyrighted material, they are just really bloody expensive. Like millions for most. I took it as what IP or fandom would you like to have a licence to write for.

What, you think Warner Bros. bought Batman? They licenced the rights off of D.C.!

16. tirial

(bolding mine)
    I am hijacking my own thread here but an author only gives up their copyright under Work-for-hire terms. Otherwise the author should always retain rights and copyright their your work, and the site - like any publisher - only has a licence. I would be very concerned about any site that says it takes copyright without an upfront agreement and paying. You might want to speak to AbsoluteWrite.com or contact Preditors and Editors through Facebook about the site that said they did.

So, on topic, if you had a licence to write official material for any fictional property out there, which one would you choose?

17. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF New Member

Star Wars. Cos of all the zeros.

18. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Do you think you can fix the current mess while you're at it? :scheming:

Site Sponsors