Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Owns the Rights? A.E. Van Vogt

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Bookangel, October 1, 2020.

1. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

"Who owns the Rights?" is a new regular feature we're running covering the issue of who owns the rights to famous literary estates and authors' works, and allowing board members to investigate. Given how hard it can be to track owners, we make no guarantee we will find them.

A.E. Van Vogt was an influential Canadian science-fiction author. His works are credited with being the forerunners of many modern franchises, such as Slan which is often cited as an influence on the X-men and the short story Black Destroyer which lead to a settlement from Fox over Alien.

He often combined several short stories into one novel, leading to sudden changes in tone in his books, and some odd character conflicts in the same character, but his innovative and creative ideas carried the works. He published his final story in 1986, and died in 2000.

So who owns the rights?

2. C.Price

C.Price New Member Author

About ten years ago it was A.P. Watt. I looked into that for my webseries, but it didn't go anywhere.

3. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

What happened?

4. C.Price

They had just hired another writer to produce a series based on his works. Also it was expensive.

5. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

A.P. Watt merged with United Agents in 2012, so locating contact details for the exact rights owner is more difficult.

As they charge a minimum fee of £100 to quote from works they own, Permissions | United Agents, I can imagine gaining the rights to write in that universe would be more so.

6. AB Chandler

AB Chandler New Member

@C.Price What series were you basing it on?

7. C.Price

I was asked not to say

8. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Change the first letter in Cull, and the influence is hard to miss.

9. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

These seem familiar to another series...

Site Sponsors