Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Owns the Rights? Alan Garner

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Bookangel, June 1, 2020.

1. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

"Who owns the Rights?" is a new regular feature we're running covering the issue of who owns the rights to famous literary estates and authors' works, and allowing board members to investigate. Given how hard it can be to track owners, we make no guarantee we will find them.

Alan Garner wrote several of the best known children's books in British literature, including The Wierdstone of Brisingamen and Elidor. Fantasy stories based in the real world, revolving around folktales and with complex and beautifully described worlds, many generations of children grew up on his works.

His works have been converted to film, including for children's television with certain degrees of accuracy, but in their original form they still bring joy to many.

So, who owns the rights?

2. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Alan Garner. He's still alive, born in 1934

3. jessica

jessica Active Member

Wow. I grep up reading his books.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I grew up reading his books. That would have been early/late 80's for the Weirdstone of Brisingamen. When I found the sequel a few years later, I thought it was a new release!

5. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I grew up reading his books - or did so as a young adult.

6. porridge

porridge Member

Nice ta see ye're keeping up with the new books, @tirial. Had'na realised they were so old.

7. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

The word you are looking for is 'Timeless'

8. jessica

jessica Active Member

Timeless fits. I read them in the 2000's and they haven't dated. 1960 and 63? You're kidding right?

9. Terry

Terry Member

What about the TV rights. I know Elidor was made by the BBC. Was that a licence or something more permanent?

Site Sponsors