Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Owns the Rights? Dashiell Hammett

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Bookangel, July 1, 2020.

1. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

"Who owns the Rights?" is a new regular feature we're running covering the issue of who owns the rights to famous literary estates and authors' works, and allowing board members to investigate. Given how hard it can be to track owners, we make no guarantee we will find them.

Dashiell Hammett is best known for his hard-boiled detective novels, including the creation of characters such as Sam Spade. An American author who served in both World Wars, he stood up to the House UnAmerican Activites Committee and was jailed and blacklisted for refusing to reveal names. The film adaptations of his works, notably The Maltese Falcon, made him one of the fathers of the film noir genre, and he is often credited with inspiring Raymond Chandler. He died in 1961.

So who owns the rights?

2. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

My information is dated, but the last I heard was Rachel Calder at the Sayle Literary Agency.

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

That seems correct. The Sayle Agency holds the rights for many estates, so they are a good place to start for many rights enquiries. That said, these are well-known authors, so they will cost and you do not use their content without written permission.

The permission details are here: My Site - PERMISSIONS

5. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

If they had the rights to the writing style, they could make millions.

Site Sponsors