Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Owns the Rights? H.G. Wells

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Bookangel, August 1, 2020 at 12:01 PM.

1. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

"Who owns the Rights?" is a new regular feature we're running covering the issue of who owns the rights to famous literary estates and authors' works, and allowing board members to investigate. Given how hard it can be to track owners, we make no guarantee we will find them.

H.G. Wells was an author, social critic, satirist, and wrote on many other topics. Today he is best remembered for War of the Worlds, but his other works, like the Time Machine, have been incredibly influential on Science Fiction and have multiple film adaptations of varying accuracy. However his most influential work was non-fiction. One of his greatest fans was Churchill, and his book, The Rights of Man, laid the groundwork for what would become the UN's declaration of Human Rights.

So who owns the rights?

2. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

H.G. Wells work is public domain, but not for as long as you think.

3. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

So we can look forward to a lot of rip offs of War of the Worlds then?

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I can live with the rip offs if one of them finally gets Thunderchild right

Site Sponsors