Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Writing children's books

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Miranda, 26 Apr 2017.

1. Miranda

Miranda Member

I recently had an idea while reading a story to my six year old daughter: What if we wrote a story together? She is always coming up with the most ridiculous and funny stories when it's her turn to 'read' to me (she can't read yet so she makes them up in her head instead...) What are your thoughts?

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Well if she can spin a consistent tale - go for it. Write them down and see how long they get. The usual storytelling rules will apply but if you can get something that works nicely on a re-read instead of as it was made up on the spot, you could be on to something.

3. Miranda

Miranda Member

Thanks for the idea, Kindler. I will start recording them right away and do as you said. You never know, right? I may just be raising the next JK Rowling, LOL:D

4. HattieMoon

HattieMoon Member

I think it's a great idea, and unique. (Or at least I have never heard of anything similar.) Maybe use a voice recorder, (out of sight to avoid distractions) to keep it natural. Good luck.

5. Quiet Sun

Quiet Sun New Member

I think it's a good idea. I think it's more natural for a 6 year-old to come up with a story idea that other 6 year old's can find entertaining, than an adult trying to do the same thing.

6. Context

Context New Member

If the adult has had a few 6 year old's in his or her lifetime, I'm sure they can come up with ideas.

But that's the thing about this market, there will always be an audience.

7. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Let the board know how you get on, should be a fun thing to look forward to.

At least - let us know the title :D

8. Miranda

Miranda Member

I'll be sure to keep you all updated. We had so much fun the last time we did this that I totally forgot I was meant to be recording. I'll do my best to remember next time.

9. Laibrown

Laibrown New Member

That is a great idea, if the kid could narrate some stories to you even she can't read just yet. Then she's good and already have the mind of a writer. You just have to support her, imagine by the time she comes of age, and learnt that she coauthored some stories while she's younger, isn't that so cool ? Yes it is, and a good motivation at that. Help her record her stories and then make a publication out of it. And to tell you she has a fan already, just let me know when the book is available please.

10. Miranda, I'm interested to hear how this turned out. I know a child would have a more vivid imagination than I do. How did you two get on?

11. Demi

Demi Member

I think all kids enjoy creating their own stories, my little cousin is always doing it. I think ti would be great and interesting if you started writing her stories down.

12. Julia

Julia Member

Kids have such great imaginations and can spin tales that we would never come up with. I think that this is a wonderful idea and I can't wait to hear how it turns out.