1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

American Democracy?!

Discussion in 'The Dive' started by Angel, May 30, 2021.

1. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Somehow, despite everything that has happened, I still find I have the capacity to be surprised by the democracy in the USA.

While I rarely worry about politics in the United Kingdom, I must admit to a horrifying fascination of the events that continue to unfold in the United States. Please forgive my rambling, but since the last Presidential election and the ongoing strife that has continued, I find myself unable to look away from the ever increasing and inexorable slide into something akin to a dictatorial state at the feet of the one known as Trump.

At the time, the Senate members were all for finding out what happened on Jan 6th with the events on Capitol Hill where their own lives were put in danger. However, it seems that they rather not just completely ignore the event, but everyone else to ignore it as well. Even going so far as using the filibuster to prevent an inquiry into it. The reason, or so I have heard, is that it would be bad for their chances in the next election. This is a poor excuse for understanding how these events came to be organisd and passed. Their actions indicate that while they may not be directly responsible, they may well be culpable of supporting the action indirectly.

It seems that American Democracy is being sacrificed on the altar of power for the few, who are doing everything in their power to ensure they can regain and maintain control.

Is there any hope for them or action that could be taken?

2. Tregaron

Tregaron Active Member

That makes a whole one of you. UK politics is, at present, a terrifying mess.

I have found over the years that if you consider a situation, consider the worst and most shortsighted thing a person can do in it, and expect a politician to do exactly that, you will rarely be disappointed. In this case, they survived the attack, so why try to drain the swamp or lance the boil? They are certain that it could never happen again, the political will to fight them has gone, and they are probably right.

3. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Politics is currently a mess where ever you look. It's just a matter of scale as to how good/bad/repressive the politics is.

As an example the smaller political parties in the UK want PR as a voting system because it will benefit them more than the current FPTP system. But the two main parties want FPTP because it if they get in the will have control without having to deal with the minor parties.

4. Hova

Hova Member

In the immortal words of Jay Z "Politics As Usual" I don't believe is democracy because I think it is a ruse to make people think they have power.

5. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

I'm actually quite glad there are elections like the ones held in Georgia for the senate, because they show that people can have an impact on who gets elected.

UK-wise, I'm curious to see how are local boundary review goes when they split all the voting districts into more even population values. That is supposed to be done by the neutral Electoral Commission, which I believev is absent in the USA leading to the strangest gerrymandered voting constituencies.

6. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

It keeps getting more bizarre over there. The republicans seem to be doing their utmost to try and ignore what happened on Capitol hill, with several of the GOP voting against giving medals to the police officers who saved their lives on the day.

Not to mention McConnell already saying that he is going to filibuster everything he can, so I'm betting on the US Senate doing nothing for the next two years.

7. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

::concern::::scream::Um....Did I read this wrong, cos I thought it was just the tabloids reporting it, but its hitting the mainstream now.
    Did Biden just threaten to use nukes on US civillians? ::exclaim::

The quote I got was"if you think you need to have weapons to take on the government, you need F-15s and maybe some nuclear weapons,” WTF?

8. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

It is indeed as bad as you think. I'm not honestly sure they know what is going on any more.

However, the government is completely split and the Republicans are refusing to work with the Democrats with a few, brave, exceptions willing to be bi-partisan.

It is, for want of a few better words, a mess

9. I do agree with you. When I was a kid, I had already known how dirty politics was. Vote buying was rampant. And at that time I realized how politicians won in the elections.

Now, I'm 69 years old. The politics has become the good source of livelihood. I know there are some good or not corrupt politicians but they're the minority. They're the underdogs.

The electorate know pretty well who are the plunderers and thieves but yet they couldn't do something. Besides money talks.

10. sliara

sliara Active Member

Well I really don't know exactly what happened, but they really shouldn't stifle the truth from coming out in any way. There should be no mud slinging.

11. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Just when you though it truly, honestly couldn't get much worse for American Democracy - here comes the withdrawal from Afghanistan.

This has the capacity to ruin the Democrats and keep them out of power for the next few terms if they don't do something to rectify the situation or, more likely, do something to distract everyone from what is going on.

Also, does anyone know if/by how much Biden is losing it or not?

Site Sponsors