Author Safety Survey

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Tregaron, January 14, 2022.

1. Tregaron

Tregaron Active Member

After speaking to some of our members and finding a trend that I found rather disturbing, we've been discussing setting up a survey on author safety and the issue of harrassment and other problems. CIAS has set up the software for it, and I think Bookangel might have the reach to be a good platform.

Is this something that people would have problems with if we did?

2. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

::suss:: What disturbing trend!? ::suss::

3. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Active Member

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

You could have asked before I set the survey up for you... ;)

but yeah, I think that says that I am onboard with it. I know everyone;s heard about Misery, Stephen King, Mercedes Lackey, JK Rowling, etc. but the straw poll I saw said that it was something like 98% of all authors who get to be on the receiving end of that. To me, that is really worrying.

ETA: Just checked the results on the test survey we put up. Some of the questions need revising, but so far 75% our test group have experienced this. Pretty bad.

5. Post-Life Crisis

Post-Life Crisis Active Member

Holy f**k. Yeah, I think this could be really interesting.

6. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Thanks to @tirial for finishing off the setup.

This info caught me by surprise, I knew some areas would be bad, but I hadn't realised how pervasive it was.

7. tirial

Wasn't aware you'd had anything to do with it. Someone was supposed to be finishing the newsletter.

Anyway, I've just lost my entire notes on this due to a &*(&^&^&*&*** computer crash, so I am going for a walk. No, online backups won't help when the servers changes have to be made and finalised in memory before being commited...

8. CatInASuit

Mea Culpa.

And yes, I am trying to finish off the newsletters

9. Tregaron

Tregaron Active Member

One of the writers in my book group got a rather unpleasant message over christmas, and the others seemed to think this was just something authors had to get used to. I really don't think that threatening writers or creatives is something that should be normalised.

10. tirial

OK, we got the first round of feedback, and it looks like it is a common problem. I'm revising the questions before going onto wide release, so if anyone wants to give feedback now's the time. I've dropped $35 on better survey software so if someone says a section isn't relevant they can skip that section.

One question: I found out that a lot of respondents who answered no to "do you know of an author who was harrassed," were simply not thinking of people like Stephen King. I was going to add a question with authors from various genres, asking if the respondent knew of them, and then a question below of whether they knew that person had been harrassed. I'm not sure whether to put it before or after the section that goes into detail about 'know of' as it would get that to nearly 100%, but the responses would be more accurate.

Survey design is not my field.

http://bookangel.co.uk/author-safety-survey/ - ask me for the password, or just post updates in the thread, or DM me.

11. Tregaron

Tregaron Active Member

That looks good. I know CIAS has started contacting people, and I could see this being a very useful tool for author groups. Aside from our own mailing list, who should we send it to?

12. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

I have set the survey to visible and removed the password, and set up a duplicate. I know that we have at least one author group on board, and I'll send it to our list this afternoon. Any other suggestions?

13. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

:up:Can we ask fanfiction.net or one of the fan places like AO£:love:, that might be right up their street.::geek::::geek::

14. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Active Member

Mistype or dis-type?::lol::
    There gotte be indie groups we can talk to.

15. tirial

At the time of writing we have just under 100 results already. What can I say. JFC.

The thinking they were the "only one" is horribly, horribly, common and I was far too unimaginative about what some people get subjected to.

<modedit> figures removed at posters request </modedit>

I'm keeping this off the main thread to avoid biasing the results, but I think right now it is 'can open, worms everywhere'.

Last edited by a moderator: February 3, 2022
  16. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Well I never. That is certainly an eye-opener and I suppose far more widespread than people actually think.

I am now very curious about the outcomes from this.

17. Bookangel

Emails have gone out to the OTW (Organisation of Transformative Works who run AO3) and to Alli (the Alliance of Independent Authors) to see if they want to come onboard. The ISWG and two of our local writing groups are already involved. ISWG will be sending it out on 21st Feb, the locals in early March. If you have any ideas or contacts to send it out to, please do and let me know here.

18. tirial

I've spent the day putting this into order and talking to some more people to get this out.

We have preliminary figures, and it is bad.

I'm not giving specifics, and I'd be grateful if bookangel could wipe the figures I put out above. I would strongly, strongly advise getting this out to as broad a range of respondents as possible.

19. Bookangel

Alli emailed and will be sending the survey out in one of their emails. Should I send them the figures?

20. CatInASuit

We have got enough answers that we are going to pull them into a database for analysis.

Is there anything that anyone is curious about in the results?

Site Sponsors