1. Guest Posts now allowed in Tech Support and Book Announcement Boards. These posts are moderated before going live, so allow 24 hours for them to appear, or create an account.
    Dismiss Notice

Author Safety Survey

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Tregaron, January 14, 2022.

1. Tregaron

Tregaron Active Member

After speaking to some of our members and finding a trend that I found rather disturbing, we've been discussing setting up a survey on author safety and the issue of harrassment and other problems. CIAS has set up the software for it, and I think Bookangel might have the reach to be a good platform.

Is this something that people would have problems with if we did?

2. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

::suss:: What disturbing trend!? ::suss::

3. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Active Member

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

You could have asked before I set the survey up for you... ;)

but yeah, I think that says that I am onboard with it. I know everyone;s heard about Misery, Stephen King, Mercedes Lackey, JK Rowling, etc. but the straw poll I saw said that it was something like 98% of all authors who get to be on the receiving end of that. To me, that is really worrying.

ETA: Just checked the results on the test survey we put up. Some of the questions need revising, but so far 75% our test group have experienced this. Pretty bad.

5. Post-Life Crisis

Post-Life Crisis Active Member

Holy f**k. Yeah, I think this could be really interesting.

6. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Thanks to @tirial for finishing off the setup.

This info caught me by surprise, I knew some areas would be bad, but I hadn't realised how pervasive it was.

7. tirial

Wasn't aware you'd had anything to do with it. Someone was supposed to be finishing the newsletter.

Anyway, I've just lost my entire notes on this due to a &*(&^&^&*&*** computer crash, so I am going for a walk. No, online backups won't help when the servers changes have to be made and finalised in memory before being commited...

8. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Mea Culpa.

And yes, I am trying to finish off the newsletters

9. Tregaron

Tregaron Active Member

One of the writers in my book group got a rather unpleasant message over christmas, and the others seemed to think this was just something authors had to get used to. I really don't think that threatening writers or creatives is something that should be normalised.

10. tirial

OK, we got the first round of feedback, and it looks like it is a common problem. I'm revising the questions before going onto wide release, so if anyone wants to give feedback now's the time. I've dropped $35 on better survey software so if someone says a section isn't relevant they can skip that section.

One question: I found out that a lot of respondents who answered no to "do you know of an author who was harrassed," were simply not thinking of people like Stephen King. I was going to add a question with authors from various genres, asking if the respondent knew of them, and then a question below of whether they knew that person had been harrassed. I'm not sure whether to put it before or after the section that goes into detail about 'know of' as it would get that to nearly 100%, but the responses would be more accurate.

Survey design is not my field.

http://bookangel.co.uk/author-safety-survey/ - ask me for the password, or just post updates in the thread, or DM me.

Site Sponsors