1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Blogs and Privacy

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by PuzzleRaven, April 24, 2020.

1. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

2. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire Scribe

I'm going to make one suggestion. In the T&Cs Bookangel takes a licence to DMCA on the poster's behalf if it gets scraped.

It saves the users having to reveal personal details like names & phone.

3. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

The right to do so, but not the obligation to.

Edit to add: I am refering to DMCA.

Last edited: October 30, 2020
  4. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

You might want to lock out the archiver bot then, or archive.org will grab the lot.

5. CatInASuit

Ok - blogs now visible for anyone signed in.

6. tirial

Thanks. Will do

7. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

I've created posts, but I can't see them.

8. CatInASuit

Ah, yeah sorry about this. I turned them off to do some extra work on the blogs.
    Was looking to add an about panel on the side.

They are coming...honest :whistle:

9. luri

luri Member

I am always against blogging on a free blogging platform. I think writers should be careful not only about protecting his/her identity but also the written works. Content theft is very common if you use public blogging platform. Another problem is you do not have total control over your content. Therefore, a self-hosted blog is a better option. You can publish anything you want and you have full control over your content.

10. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

For a really private blog you need ones without Google or a real name linked to it. It is hard to find now.

11. sliara

sliara Member

I think that you can actually blog anonymously by using a prepaid connection. If you use a postpaid one, then you will certainly be tracked if the website owner wants to.

12. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

This is dangerously wrong. If you prepay the connection, they have your payment data unless you use Monero, crypto, or cash. Any site or hoster can track you by cookie or browser characteristics. Google & others then link all that data together to know everything you are doing. Use a VPN via tor for best privacy for all your connections, & use a canvas killer or antifingerprint to stop HTML5 getting used to grab your system details. Always surf private and do a new session for each site. For real privacy use secondhand machine you don't use for anything else and USBLive for your OS. Be careful what VPN you use. Opera's runs straight through Google servers who can get your data there, and Facebook owns another.

13. sliara

sliara Member

Well I use a prepaid connection and I notice that even when I'm searching in Google I see the wrong search location. So you can still hide from others using a prepaid internet connection. Google isn't that perfect yet with regards to location and so are networks.

14. tirial

I am sorry to cut in, but the fact you are using Google to search is an immediate indicator that you aren't familiar with privacy issues. For better privacy use duckduckgo.

15. sliara

sliara Member

Ok, I will try to use Duck Duck Go, I have heard of Duck Duck Go in the past, I just didn't explore the site that much. Sites just track you down for ads only.

16. Lily

Lily Member

Yes, DuckDuckGo, as well as StartPage. There are a few other privacy-focused search engines but the names escape me just now.

@PuzzleRaven Have you considered the Brave browser? It's Chromium-based but with all the Google stuff stripped out, plus it's possible to open a private window using Tor. Maybe that could be an option for blogging without it being traced back to you.

As for email address, I know of an end-to-end encrypted one called ProtonMail. There is a paid option which gives more storage space, but maybe the free version could be an option for your blog. I've never actually used it but it might be worth checking out, and see if you're able to open an account without giving any personal details.

17. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

I have the browser covered, and I use tutanota's free version for email. It was just finding a place for a blog that doesn't cut straight through VPNs and Tor. Bookangel (thanks, guys) gave me a deadjournal code, and they predate all the tracking, so I use that now.

18. Lily

Lily Member

That's great news! I'm glad to hear you found a good solution.

19. luri

luri Member

I don't know about other platforms, however, if you are using wordpress content management system on your blog, you have an option to make it private and discourage google from indexing your blog.

Site Sponsors