1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ereaders and Tech Support now has its own area for all your kindle bugs and technological wandering wonders. (Relevant older threads are being moved here.)
    Dismiss Notice

Board Update Suggestions 2021

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Bookangel, May 28, 2021.

1. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

The board has not had a serious rearrangement since 2017 and we have boards that are not used now. I would like to simplify it by removing some to reduce spam.
    *Critics and Critiques has only two posts left on it.
    *The Recovered Threads board, as we left proboards in 2011.
    *Mannered Discourse as ehell has completed its move.

Feedback would be appreciated.

2. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

As a newbie here, I don't have a very accurate sense of what kind of chat you'd like to see on your boards. In what areas would you like to encourage participation?

3. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Critics and Critiques hasn't seen much action at all, so I have no problem with that.

I'd like to keep some of the threads from Mannered Discourse, "Dear Cat" springs to mind, and maybe move them to one of the other forums.

I think we would just like more chat in general.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

From a superuser perspective, Critics can go. Mannered Discource has run its course, so we can move some threads, close the boards and remove them from the board list. It leaves the reference page available for any backlinks without it being on the site. I don't think Wishlists is being used either, so that can go.

Recovered Threads is an admin-only board anyway and what we use for thread recovery when the board goes mad/an admin gets things wrong (like a certain smileys thread a few days ago?) so we really need to keep that one.

5. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

I'd like to see us promote books a bit more:love:. We used to do the newspaper column and outbrain, but things are kinda quiet::coffee::.

6. porridge

porridge Member

Like t'see ye fix the Home Home thing tha' shows on the bit at t'top, or a dicknose smiley, take either.

7. atry

atry Active Member

We could let authors list their own giveaways on the board, like when they offer sign up for a newsletter to get a free ebook, or a raffle. There's a giveaway board now.

8. skye

skye Member

They can do that now, but no one does. I don't think we get enough views to really help people unless it goes out in the email.

9. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Regarding giveaway posts, I don't think those are likely to be conversation starters (if that's what people are aiming for).
    Just throwing out another couple of ideas, how about a thread on: Has anyone else read {book}?
    And a connected thread of: I read {book} and enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend something similar?

10. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

With regard to Mannered Discourse, the majority of the threads from the main forum could be moved without issue to Life in General.

I feel, however, that the two members-only subforums "I need a hug" and "Good news" should be deleted along with their contents. They are virtually unused, and the existing threads were not started with their creators' or contributors' belief that the content would be available to search engines or the general web outside this board.

11. Bookangel

Update threads like this tend to be less about the individual content and threads, and more about the board structure and features. For example, the wallet feature came out of the last board update. If you can think of a function or feature that you'd like to suggest Bookangel should add to the board or the site, or that would help authors promote their books, this would be the place to suggest it.

12. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Short of letting authors sell their books directly through the boards or site, I am uncertain what else we can do. Perhaps a announcements board specifically for authors to share New Book Announcements, Press Releases, etc, which could be placed in the sidebar of the main site or included in the email. I am uncertain if such threads could be made time limited, so that the announcements could expire or the thread close if the offer it related to was no longer open.

13. tirial

That might be possible. We would have to be very careful of spam, if it is going onto the main site. If we created a new board, set it up so that only members who identified as authors could create new threads and gave the thread starters permissions over the thread for the admin tools and threadmark creation. The contest board died because of the work needed to type all the submissions in, but if authors are submitting their own stuff that would remove that issue.

@CatInASuit since you'd be doing the work? Thoughts?

14. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

::dollar::I don't think anyone's going to sell ebooks for diamonds!::dollar::

15. porridge

porridge Member

If it's sellin ye want, I got an old mower ye can have!

Hell's goin' baltic. Reader made a grammar mistake!

Kinda' like the idea of sellin' books, but I dinna ken why any 'ud do it fur diamonds.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2021
  16. Meandering

Meandering New Member Scribe

I lurk a lot, but a board to help with ereader problems. When my Kindle stopped talking to my PC, I stopped reading ebooks so bookangel doesn't do much for me anymore.

17. Bookangel

I would agree with this. One of the main requests we get through the contact form is help with Kindles and Kobos, and currently I pass them on to tirial. Making it an official forum would be a good idea.

18. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

It's currently too hot to think. Let's have a look at what is possible, and see if we can find something that does most of the work for us.

Also - a board for help on E-readers, eBooks and other technical bits and pieces is a good idea.

19. tirial

There's an add-on for Xenforo 1.5 that allows members to sell items uysing Paypal and other methods. It says it also allows digital items and manages licences, but I wouldn't want to take legal responsibility for licence expiry. I'd need to look more into it.

It costs $8.00.

20. Bookangel

So far the changes suggested are:

Remove Mannered Discourse forum, move the threads to appropriate places.
    Leave the Mannered Discourse page in Archive and remove the section.
    Remove Critics.
    Start New tech support Section. Forums for Kindle, Kobo, and Other?.

Could you investigate the sales add-on @tirial? At $8.00, a bookshop would be nice.

Site Sponsors