1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ereaders and Tech Support now has its own area for all your kindle bugs and technological wandering wonders. (Relevant older threads are being moved here.)
    Dismiss Notice

Board Update Suggestions 2021

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Bookangel, May 28, 2021.

1. porridge

porridge Member

At 8 wee poun', ye ken tap me fur it.

2. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Is the idea for authors to sell ebooks/print books directly to readers (responsible for fulfilment, technical support etc)? Or the board is an intermediary in the process? (I wouldn't be able to anyway as I'm exclusive to Kindle, other than a freebie collection).

Related thought: of course, a shop needn't be limited to books. Bookmarks seem like obvious companion merchandise :)

3. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

A tech support board would be great.::thumbsupbook::

Wow, that's like the price of a whole pint!::confu::
    Um, I'm going to sound really ungrateful, ::SadBook::but could the book smileys be a bit smaller. They break the test up a lot.::uncertain::

4. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Liking the look of the board changes and the new forum layouts.

5. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

I am moving threads from Mannered Discourse now. If there are any threads you see that should go in the new Tech Support forum, please let me know here or start a Conversation.

Depending on how much this supports, it might be possible. Does it take payment methods other than paypal? @tirial ?

6. porridge

porridge Member

Aye, right. What's it made o' gold?

Sounds good. Is t'club t'sell it or the people?

7. Bookangel

I have moved the threads, leaving temporary redirects. Please update your bookmarks.

8. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

There are two ways we can do this:
    One costs 6.00 and basically adds a paypal option to posts, so the poster/seller handles everything including dispatch for physical or digital goods.
    The other costs 8.00 and allows digtal products to be set up by users, than handles the sale and licencing, so ebooks and artwork can be handled without the seller having to be online. Physical goods still have to be dispatched by the user/seller.

9. Bookangel

I am working on the permissions to set up the Book Announcements board. Should I break the entire board, I apologise in advance.

Edit: As of 14:20 the new board should be live. If any problems are encountered, please post here.

Last edited: June 10, 2021
  10. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

In the interests of experimentation, I have a short story I could drop to free for a few days. I don't (yet) have privileges to post on the Book Announcements board, so it can be a test run through how the full process works.

11. Bookangel

Thank you. I have added you to the Authors Group, so you should now have the correct priviledges for the board.

I doubt there is much traffic at the moment, so there probably will not be much pick up from it.

12. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Thanks. I'll have a play later in the week, and do it with no expectations whatsoever.

As another general thought - I think I saw somewhere that you use affiliate links. Presumably that wouldn't matter for a freebie story anyway. If an author wanted to promote a discounted book, would it benefit you to add an affiliate tag?

13. Bookangel

There are affiliate links on Bargain bookangel. They rarely get used, since most people's browsers or email adblocker strips them. If an author wants to add their own when they post, I doubt anyone would complain.

14. tirial

I have been a little busy:
    - The resource manager is installed and being tested. One of RA's free promotional books was 'volunteered' and put up (the great thing about being the publisher is not having to ask for permission. The great thing about being family is being able to do it over tea). The download and similar works fine, but we are still testing Paypal integration. If that doesn't work, it will be free resources only.
    - I am updating the BB Codes to actually support tables, internal anchors, superscript, etc. It is overdue but it is a lousy data entry job I've been putting off and while I am under the weather it is something braindead I can get on with.

15. tirial

We now have the follwoing tags available:

sup - Superscript (Example: likethis)
    sub - Subscript (Example: likethis)

Tables:
    table - creates a table
    tr - creates a row in a table
    th - creates a heading cell
    td - creates a data cell

Anchor - creates an internal anchor that can be jumped to by clicking a Footnote.
    Footnote - creates a superscript link in text that can be clicked to jump to an Anchor.

I couldn't get Goto working, I am sorry. Xenforo hijacks standard anchor links to return to the front page of the board even with javascript. Footnote is my hacky solution, since the reference will tell people where to look even if clicking the link doesn't work in all browsers.

16. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Hey, that's great. How does it look in a sentence?

17. tirial

The Bookstore option is installed (thanks to @porridge for givein up a pint) and appears to have an option where people can self-host their own downloads while directing people to it from the boards. There are some issues with this (confirming there's no malware and that the download is what the person says it is), but we've successfully linked a free book from Smashwords without issues.

If no one objects, I'll make this available to members of the authors group. Paypal integration is still in testing as they have about four options for it!

18. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for looking into the bookstore option. @tirial

19. It would be a good move or decision to remove unused board especially those with no discussion for space saving and as you have said to prevent spam.

20. Bookangel

The board changes are now complete, so if there is any feedback on the new structure please leave it in the thread here.

Site Sponsors