1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you earn a living as a freelance writer in your country?

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by luri, April 3, 2021.

1. luri

luri Member Scribe

I am asking this question because it is not possible to earn a living as a freelance writer in my home country. If you want to earn a living as a freelance writer, you will either have to work in a publication (doing editing, proofreading, etc.) or work for a newspaper or magazine.

2. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

It is remarkably hard. Selling short stories is paid in 'exposure' which is shorthand for 'not paid'. You can freelance as a journalist or article writer, but the pay is crap. I guess you could do it in fiction, but hey, even Isaac Asimov had a day job.

3. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

It has never been easy to make a living as a writer. If you want to be completely independant, without selling work to publishers, or contracting as a freelancer for clients such as newspapers or magazines, it is a hard road indeed.

My field was publishing, not blogs or online, so I will stay within that. During my lifetime, publishers moved from developing authors over a series of books as an investment and building their audience, to buying books from authors they thought already had audiences and the notorious spiral of death, where each book gets a lower print run and by the third the author is dropped. This made it far harder for authors to make a living, as advances were cut with each title.

You will find that many authors run seminars on how to write, or the craft of marketing, and on investigation you would be surprised at how large a proportion of their income it can be. Sometimes it seems more that the books are used to market the seminars than the seminars to market the books, a complete reversal of what you would expect.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

With freelance writing you could make a living in journalism or ghostwriting, but those are hard to break into. There used to be sites that paid for articles, like Squidoo and Hubpages, but they've gone the way of the dodo.

I know it didn't used to be possible to make a living purely as a fiction writer if you were outside the top one percent. Even with big publishing houses, midlist writers tended to have second jobs, and there's often an assumption that the advance isn't for the author to live on, its for the author to pay to market their books. Its changed slightly with e-readers taking off, and Romance and erotica writers tend to do the best as there's a high demand and large churn. It still gives you the problem of building an audience and using writing time for marketing.

5. Lily

Lily Member

There can be good money in marketing. My friend and I used to work together in market research and he went on to join a marketing firm and since a few years ago, does this on a self-employed basis. The contracts are usually 3 months minimum and he frequently finds himself working alongside former colleagues. The campaigns he works on are for multinational clients (hence the good money), but there's a lot of pressure and the hours can be very long.

6. Athanas

Athanas New Member

I think freelance writing is open to everyone worldwide, it is not country-specific.

7. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Active Member

Yeah, but how much you can make depends on where you are and what what languages you write. Mturk still doesn't pay the UK.

8. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Do you have to limit it to your own country. I see loads of places that have freelance writing from outside the UK, please like Fiverr and so on.

They may be only small gigs each time, but if you can build a rep, it could become a paying wage. Just not sure how it's set up for you to do that where you are.

9. sliara

sliara Member

If you have contacts like someone that has a job inside a magazine or newspaper publication, or a book publishing company then you might just get in there. But freelance? I think you have to be experienced enough to be employed.

Site Sponsors