1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ereaders and Tech Support now has its own area for all your kindle bugs and technological wandering wonders. (Relevant older threads are being moved here.)
    Dismiss Notice

Other Cloud Reader not working?

Discussion in 'Kindle, Kobo, and Ereaders' started by Reader, June 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I can purchase books as I always would and send books to the cloud reader but now, when I try to read them, I simply get a black screen. It appears to be a fault with the reader, not the books as it is happening even for books I have already read. Is this my computer, or a fault with the could reader in general? If there is a way to fix this, I would be grateful.

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

This is likely to be an upgrade issue with Amazon Cloud reader being supported by only the latest browser versions on the latest OS. Went and tested on an out-of-date browser and get some error messages. Mine are pretty up-to-date so I don't have the same problems.

How to fix it? I'd say update to the latest version if you can and that is the problem.

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

If I remember correctly @Reader, you are already using the UserAgent hack. (For those who are unaware, most software runs fine on older browsers as long as it doesn't know it is on older browsers, so changing your browser's user Agent can get this running.) As of the start of June, this no longer works for Amazon Cloud Reader on many older browsers because they are now using a system that is not supported by them. You may be able to get it working on Firefox 60 and up, I haven't tried, but I couldn't get it working on browsers below that.

Amazon has completely disabled their desktop client for anything that's not Win10, so you probably can't use that either.

I am still working on it, but as a work-around, install Calibre. If you have an old USB Kindle, Amazon has a "Send to Kindle" option that will save to your local PC so you can sideload the book to it. As long as the ebook has no DRM, you will be able to read it for review.

4. sliara

sliara Member

Have you already tried buying a new device to be able to troubleshoot it more easily?

5. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

If something is working and then suddenly stops - someone has changed something no matter how much they plead otherwise.

I tried it on an old browser and it borked saying it was out of date. New version, no problems at all.

6. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Buying an entirely new computer on a UK pension is easier said than done. I am extremely grateful for the free technical support from friends here that has kept my old one running.

I am also averse to the presence of Alexa, Cortana, or any of the other greatly annoying chipper chippies they have added to the various computers these days, or copyrighted files I view for clients being taken out of my hands to the so-called Cloud or One Drive where any employee of a third party company can read them.

Calibre is currently working for me, although the problem with DRM does restrict which books can be reviewed.

7. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

It's is a shame that their DRM means you can't read books you have legally bought. People who crack and distribute commercial ebooks should be shot.

There is an unofficial plugin for Calibre which can remove Amazon DRM, deDRM, which I absolutely cannot endorse or suggest people use for obvious legal reasons.

I didn't mention it before because it won't help with your issue. You are using an old version of Calibre due to your machine (I know, I PM'd you the link), and the version of deDRM available doesn't affect the current Amazon DRM.

Site Sponsors