1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfic Dinosaur (Multi-crossWverse/Project Origin)

Discussion in 'Scribblings' started by PuzzleRaven, May 4, 2021.

1. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

Rewrite an entire five book series that spans years in under 20,000 words and two months, and tie up all the endings.

For Reader.

2. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

Extinction Re-evaluated

“Abandoned forest camp, neglect, one radio rather damaged. We’ll be using our own supplies.” Celes wrapped her arm round Babbage’s waist, helping him out of the car and onto the forest floor. The older man visibly stopped himself saying anything, probably a snapped rebuttal he could manage himself, and then-

“Thank you,” he said, as graciously as he could, which was not very much. She let him lean on her as he walked stiffly from the car to the front of the forestry hut. He sank down on the bench outside, sweat on his forehead.

“Are you harmed?”

“That dratted logging trail up here,” he explained, retrieving a small packet of jewellery screwdrivers from inside his jacket. “It shook up a few of the workings.”

“If we can ensure no surveillance, I’ll cast a Reparo.”

“Thank you, my dear.” He pulled his coat sleeve up, adjusting one of the screws on the brass framework enclosing his wrist. “If you can assist Ned with the search, I shall be quite alright for the moment.”

“In this drizzle?”

“I don’t rust, and it won’t be for very long,” Babbage said, engrossed in his work. “I hope it won’t be for very long. Warmth and a fire would be most welcome.” Celes nodded, and walked into the next cabin to search.

“This ‘un’s clear,” a cockney voice shouted from inside the cabin Babbage was leaning against. “Move our stuff in?”

“Not yet, Ned” Babbage chided, still working on his arm. The younger man walked out of the forest hut, straightening his rumpled shirt.

“Sweep the whole camp first,” Ned said agreeably. “Where’s Wave?”

“He found some kayaks in one of the huts. He’s checking out the lake.” Babbage wiggled his fingers, checking his adjustments. Ned shook himself, stretching his legs after the long drive up and surveyed the camp.

“I don’t see it.” Ned said, his ever-present smile missing. “I don't threats I can't see. There’s nothing wrong with the huts, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing dangerous here.”

“Like the earthquake risk.” Babbage pointed a screwdriver at the cliffs above the lake. “Those rockfalls happened in the last year. Judging by the differing levels of plant growth, possibly seasonal, or thermal changes in the rock.”

“Volcanic?” Ned’s voice dropped.

“No," Babbage reassured him as the man tensed, "but this area is tectonically unstable. You can tell by sight.”

“Or by those books he was reading on the trip up,” the redhead called from the edge of the woods. She jogged up, staff casually slung across her back, not bothered by the damp and drizzle. “I’m stumped. Nothing dangerous out there, just a few deer. You might trip over a raccoon if you’re unlucky.”

“Only a few deer, and no predators?” Babbage said with siudden interest. “Curious, Skye. I would have thought this the ideal territory for them.”

“Could be culled or hunted.” Ned suggested, sprawling on the other end of the bench as Celes walked outside to join them. He wasn't relaxing, the well-hidden stress obvious to his team mates.

“Perhaps.” Babbage allowed.

“There are no arrowheads or casings,” Skye said with a shrug. “And no recent human footprints either.”

“Interesting,” Babbage said thoughtfully. “The wording of the mission report was quite clear however: a group of teenagers setting up summer camp in an abandon Government base. Don’t let anyone die. So no larger predators or signs of hunting, yet something is keeping deer numbers in check. Diseases?”

“None. I scanned and cast a general area-wide Curaga when we arrived,” Celes said.

“A hidden government lab?” Ned shrugged, moving one foot further back under the overhang to get it out of the drizzle. “It is a government base, but I didn’t find any hidden entries or signs of one around the camp. Could be further out.”

“I didn’t see any signs in the forest,” Skye said, unbothered by the weather, “and finding secret bases is kind of my thing.”

“Could be in the mountains?” Ned asked. Babbage’s answer was cut off by a splash that echoed through the camp.He drew breath and let the echoes die before he tried again.

“Governments don’t usually build such facilities in locations with a two-hundred-year history of earthquakes. Sensible people avoid such places.”

“Like the sensible people coming straight into one for summer camp?” Skye pointed out.

“Touche.” Babbage said, “I doubt the authorities know the children are coming.”

“Unless they are using them as experimental subjects.” Celes’ matter-of-fact statement cut the conversation uncomfortably short.

“It’s a bit disorganised for an experiment,” Ned said, after a moment’s silence.

“No cameras or monitoring,” Skye agreed. “And no one here to run it, unless they plan to arrive with them.”

“Ah, Wave, you’ve been quite a while,” Babbage greeted, as the Scot made his eeriely silent way up the path. The man was smiling slightly, picking his steps with customary care.

“Aye,” he said as he reached them. “I’ve been watching the Mosasaurs playing in the lake.”

3. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Good fic. I can guess what it is based on, and anyone who read all five books is gonna enjoy your take on it.

I'll also admit to not knowing who all the characters are? Hmm, any hints?

Site Sponsors