1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you write flash fictions?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by luri, April 15, 2021.

1. luri

luri Member Scribe

Recently, I have been taking a lot of interest in flash fiction, not as a writer but as a reader. Some people say flash fiction is a story that is less than 1000 words and some say flash fiction is a story that is told in 500 or fewer words.
    What's your take on flash fiction? Do you write flash fiction?

2. Lily

Lily Member

My only experience of flash fiction is as a reader and I've been left in awe of those writers and their literary skills. If I ever attempted writing any of my own, it would only be fit for the bin. "And then everyone died." <- that's the kind of calibre I mean E:sweatsmile:

3. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

A couple of years ago, I attended a flash fiction workshop run by the Smokelong Quarterly people. Came away feeling rather intimidated—at least one other attendee was subsequently nominated/awarded in contests such as Pushcart and Bath. Their preferred word count limit is 300, although other places will go for 500, 1000 or even 1200.

I got the impression that flash fiction (at least, the sort that literary publications are seeking) isn't just defined by word count. There's an emphasis on theme, and the work capturing a pivotal moment. I love reading and writing 50-word microfiction, but generally find literary flash discomfiting or even depressing, which I can do without. I'll stick to my light-hearted, non-"worthy" pieces.

4. sliara

sliara Member

Yes I have tried writing flash fiction in the past, it was just a short fiction story. It was quite easy to conceptualize and write also since it's short, so it's advisable for beginners.

Site Sponsors