1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Fic Requests Open

Discussion in 'Scribblings' started by PuzzleRaven, September 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

I'm hooked. Check your PMs.

2. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Thank you for your interest, PuzzleRaven, and I apologise in advance for what you are about to read. It is my surmise that the author in question wrote in the same style as the creators of Lost and the X-Files; namely by throwing plot points at the wall to keep the plot moving and forgetting that eventually they have to explain them. This author does not wish anyone to hate their named characters, so an entirely new set of faceless villains are introduced and wrapped up in the last thirty pages of book five, culminating in a dissatisfying, and what I can only regard as a cheap, way of dealing with the fact there are still inconvenient dinosaurs running around. Status quo is god, and in this case god strikes the story dead.

Regarding the shabbiest excuse for a plot point, quite simply they find a corpse, it casts doubt on everything they have been told and they spend more than one book trying to find out who it is. Then in the Epilogue, set four years later, we are informed by a secondary character: "I finally found out who it was. It turns out it wasn't very interesting after all." That is it, the subject is changed, and the readers are duly short-changed and never to find out what was going on.

This is why, after ten hours, five books, an alive/dead/alive/dead character, vanishing corpses, and an average of less than two deaths a book in a series about prehistoric monsters eating people, I considered throwing my e-reader at the wall, and then made my request.

@PuzzleRaven, please, do better.

3. You're kidding, right?

4. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

She's not. The last book even has a character doing a Jaws The Revenge Jake moment.

I've read them. First okay, rest oh dear. Fixing this is tricky because from day one the characters are stupid. @Reader If you don't mind me inserting one of my work crews, seeing how intelligent people handle it could be fun. Better than:
    "There are giant monsters in the lake that eat people. We could walk back to town for help."
    "That's a long way. I'm a-goin' out in a kayak!*"
    (*"Hold my beer" optional)

5. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

@Reader Check your PMs for Chapter One.

6. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Thank you. I shall.

Site Sponsors