Free Books

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by DerekH, April 14, 2022.

1. DerekH

DerekH Member

As a writer, every so often I wonder about giving away books. Amazon is awash with free books. And it appears there are millions of readers who now never buy a book. There are myriad sites where writers pay, and sometimes lots, to give their books away. It's quite an industry. The first book in my Jack All Trades series is permafree. My hope is that it will lead readers into the paid books of the series. Maybe, but then again, most readers simply take the free book and move on. The one positive is that it has given the permafree book lots of reviews, but not a lot of sales further up the series. Should I stop giving away books?

I could offer a free book for every reply, but I doubt that'll get me worthwhile replies. Besides which Bookangel won't allow it.

So free books, folks, what do you do?

DerekH

2. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

From what I know, it's the standard way to try and get traction on a series, offer the first book for free and hope someone picks up the series.

I don't think you should stop giving away that free book, because you are looking for that 1 in 100 person to enjoy it and continue buying further books. If it is not free, then it's likely there will be no sales apart from the latest book you produce.

3. DerekH

DerekH Member

I agree with you, Cat. I am not thinking of taking the first book in my series off permafree. It is getting around 40 downloads a day in the UK, 5 or so in the US. The book is getting regular reviews, 70 so far in April. The reviewers obviously regard the review as their ‘payment’. That’s fine by me.

It work out at one review per 160 downloads. There’s no point me decrying the other 159 as I have no way of getting through to them. And I suspect it would be a fruitless discussion with me getting the worst of it. The game is what it is.

I am sure many of those who have downloaded the book don’t get round to reading it. With the plethora of free books, you can end up with 100s on your ereader, many of which you’ll never get round to reading. Though some reviewers do begin by saying, something like, I had this book on my ereader for some time and finally got round to reading it …

This is not a moan. I am just looking at the situation realistically and considering the best way to market my books, which does include giving away books. It would be interesting to hear a reader’s perspective.

DerekH

Site Sponsors