1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

How is you're grammar?

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Kindler, May 13, 2021.

1. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Yeah, it's a deliberate spelling mistake.

Here's some fun 'n' games for everyone, a topical test of picky punctuation.

I gave it a go and it was a surprising 7/10, well at least for me, but I'm betting there are plenty of people here who could do better.

2. Lily

Lily Member

That was a fun test – I got 9/10 grammar ninja. Dunno if the questions are the same for everyone but this is the one that threw me:

Incorrect. The right answer is ‘I won Richard Harris’s spats at the auction.’ With a singular proper noun, you add ’s to show possession.

I don't think I was ever clear on that particular rule.

One of them was a guess (I didn't like any of the choices):

That’s right. ‘We just need to dot the i’s and cross the t’s.’ is the correct one. Apostrophes are needed when pluralising letters of the alphabet.​

Adding apostrophes in this context just looks clumsy and inelegant to me but then the alternative 'Is and Ts' can be confusing.

Btw, did you see that bit at the end about Bristol's Grammar Vigilante? I was actually wondering about him recently, whether he was making the most of the quiet streets during lockdown E:tearsofjoy:

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler tags

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2021
  3. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

I managed to get 8/10, so I don't feel so bad about it.

This look like a couple of questions I had...actually I checked and if you repeat the test then the questions are the same.

Then again, I'm not really up on grammar rules, so while I might have a good guess as to what the right answer is, I'm hazy on the reasons why.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Same rating, and exactly the same error.

I was curious so I looked it up. The Chicago Manual of Style states that:
    However it also adds a number of exceptions:
    etc. so it looks like its a bit more complex than I thought.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2021
    Lily likes this.
  5. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I am quietly content.

Lily likes this.
  6. CatInASuit

I'm betting this would be a lot easier in some other languages with a stricter grammar structure.

Then again, it's why I like English, it's understandable even when it can be horribly incorrect.

Lily likes this.
  7. Lily

Lily Member

Oh, drat, I'm so sorry for the spoilers! E:screamcat: And it's too late to edit that post now and remove the answers E:coldsweat: For future reference, I think I should test whether <sp>this works</sp> or maybe [sp]this[/sp] instead E:coldsweat: or perhaps
    this
    ?!

Edit: Oh, thank goodness lol, going to have to keep this one in mind.

8. Lily

Lily Member

@tirial I had no idea it got even more complex. I wish there were an easy way to remember that rule.

9. CatInASuit

Don't worry about it. It's not like it's a movie spoiler for a twist ending.

Besides, some of us need more help than others :scheming:

Lily likes this.
  10. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

MOD NOTE: I have edited previous posts to add spoiler tags to hide the answer under discussion.

Lily likes this.
  11. This was so much fun. I scored an 8 out of ten.

I do need to work on my grammar, I agree.

12. Hova

Hova Member

I gotta take the test and see how much I'll score. Looks fun.

13. sliara

sliara Active Member

I managed to have a score of 6 out of 10, and I was distracted when I took it. I would have scored higher if I was able to read the test with no distractions.

14. Lily

Lily Member

@Bookangel Thank you for fixing that post! I'm usually really careful about spoilers but for some reason I was being sloppy that day E:sweatsmile:

15. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

I got 6:((. I'm not very good.

16. CatInASuit

I'm sure they have changed some of the questions but I went back and did it again.

Solid 8/10, so I've both not got any worse, but also learned nothing new either ::rofl::

Site Sponsors