Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Illustrations?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Ellie Jane, 7 Jan 2018.

1. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

Where do you go to get your book illustrated and on average what are the costs involved? I purchased a children's ebook yesterday that was strictly written content. To me, it would be better to add some photos you took yourself if you can't hire an illustrator.

2. Donna

Donna Member

Good question Ellie Jane. I have been working on a children's book about the crazy antics of my two cats. It would really be better with some illustrations or pictures.

Ellie Jane likes this.
  3. Belle

Belle Member

It's really easy to find illustrators for children's books. You could look for freelancers on any of the major platforms like Freelancer or Fiverr. It doesn't even cost a lot of money. Some people will even work for a percentage of your earnings from the book.

4. Donna

Donna Member

Good to know Belle. I have a friend who would do an excellent job but is very unreliable if you know what I mean. I shall make note of Freelancer and Fiverr to use when I get to that point. Thank you!

5. jessica

jessica Active Member

What about deviantart? Ask an artist from there what they charge::coffee::

natalie likes this.
  6. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

I think some author's just don't bother when it comes to ebooks. Maybe it's too difficult to create digital art or convert it to the Kindle Publishing platform.

7. natalie

natalie Member

Yeah, I'm not really sure why you would have a children's book without illustrations. I guess it depends on the target age since "children" can be broad, but pictures seem like a pretty essential part of children's books. Then again, I don't think I'd want to read to (young) children on a Kindle anyways, personally. I totally get the appeal, but it makes me sad to think that the next generation will be more comfortable flipping through a Kindle than opening a book.

Jessica, I was about to suggest DeviantArt too. There are so many talented people on there who are wanting to build up their portfolios. Donna, the rest of the sites recommended are great too. I see Fiverr suggested a lot of places. I've heard some great things about UpWork, too.

8. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

My mum was reading over my shoulder and pointed out that "author's" should be written as "authors" as the sentence calls for the plural form rather than possessive. She has impeccable grammar skills. I obviously do not.

Natalie, I worry about the screen hurting their little eyes.

natalie likes this.