Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Micro Reviews Part III

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Reader, 8 Apr 2017.

1. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Micro Reviews 1
    MicroReviews 2

More of the reviews of books that I put to one side or read and never finished doing a proper review for, some of which I should and some of which I never will. I may have some of these mixed up with ones from earlier reviews, but I don't have time to check them all.

The Legend of Dragon Hollow
    I'm sorry I can't give this a good review. Children's book or not "Oh, you're parents are dead." "Oh, so are ours." just doesn't really work for me. It doesn't seem to know where where its tone should be going, and I am not sure what age group it is pitched at. I quit at loc 225.

Welcome to Lovely.
    If I reviewed this, this cozy mystery would be another "Reader reviews Romance" so I won't. Someone with more tolerance for female leads who play at their career and just want to be mastered and borderline abusive partners who don't think she should leave her house after dark and get shirty when she talks to male colleagues (like, you know, her cameraman). I spotted the actual killer by loc 1100 and spent the rest of the book waiting for the characters to catch up...

The problem is that the women in this book are there purely to have relationships with the guys and get killed. The sassy reporter really wants to be controlled and mastered, has no awareness of self-defense and is absolutely useless once the chips are down. She's playing at being a reporter rather than actually being one.

Life First
    Oh dear - I've read Neil Shusterman's Unwind series, so all I can think is she's making this fuss over a kidney?

Blackspoon
    I'll be upfront, the involvement of the actual death of Doctor David Kelly in this sat badly with me. It seems in poor taste, no matter how plot-relevant.

Scepter
    This meanders. There's an awful lot of background crammed into the first chapters, including a history of the kingdom crammed into a flashback that no character was present to have.

And my reaction to one character's name remains instinctive. Atreyu? No, you're bloody well not!

Richard Sherlock
    They had an unreported credit card breach? Not if they are PCI-accredited they didn't, or if they did, they must not like being able to take credit cards.

The artefact mysteries (Micro)
    The writing style is very flat, with short sentences and very basic sentence construction. I found it rather bland, but other readers might not mind, particularly younger ones. I gave up when the female lead was called 'London' - By loc 104 I knew this book was not for me, as I was becoming exasperated by the writing style, and therefore I could not give it a fair review.

Who you work for
    Odd sentence flow and jerky continuity: it goes from his panic attack to his hat? I might go back to this when I have a better tolerance for it.

Sacrifices
    It's a lovely literary work with intricate prose and word craft, and I fell asleep on page 3. I'm not reviewing this.

The Devil Wears Scrubs
    The problem is that somethings are unavoidable. Others just make her look incompetant, like not changing scrubs once she has a foreign object on them.

It is funny but I wasn't in the mood for it. I may go back later.

2. tirial

tirial Member

Thanks for these, and the extra ten reviews that are now being scheduled.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2017
  3. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for that @Reader. There are now reviews scheduled on the site until the end of July. There are gaps to add new books in, but the review queue itself is still at over two hundred books and coutning I believe.

4. Terry

Terry Member

I love that review for Sacrifices - perhaps point Angel at it instead or is it just a great insomnia cure.

5. Context

Context New Member

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to review those, but I really wish you come come across a book you actually like.

I'm all for constructive criticism, like this review of your reviews for example, but I have the feeling that if I wrote a book and submitted to you for review, I'd get slammed.