1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo 2021

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Lily, October 8, 2021.

1. Lily

Lily Member

Anyone doing it this year? If so, do you have a plan and a plot or are you just going to wing it?

I went ahead and created a project, but since I've only ever managed to 'win' NaNo once (the year I joined), and the following year's Camp, well... E:sweatsmile:

Anyway, best of luck to all! ٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و

2. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Most I ever managed to write in one year is 10k words. After that, I wish I had the time.

We do have a word counter for anyone who wants to brag about how many words they have put together.

3. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

::coffee::Not me, but I'll read anything you want to put up!::coffee::

4. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Not me, at least not officially. Priority is finishing the first draft of my sequel that won't behave past the midway point :(

I've done it just the once, last year. Went in with 2 different outlines in case I decided I didn't like one, and by day 6 I was making up a totally separate story. Won it, but was a definite NaNoPantsMo!

5. Lily

Lily Member

That's still 10,000 words you didn't have before; it works out to be 28.57 pages :)

Lol thanks! My regular first drafts are usually okay to read but during NaNo I use the pomodoro method, so I'm basically just spewing out any old rubbish while writing against the clock, which means all I have to show for it at the end is pomodoro vomit, not fit for human eyes E:sob:

That is actually really impressive XD

If you don't mind, what are you writing? You may have already mentioned it before but since I've been absent from the boards these last few months I missed a lot of interesting stuff. I like hearing about what people are writing; I feel eager to read it but then sad because it's not completed yet E:tongueclosed:

6. CatInASuit

Stories sometime seem to go that way or so I'm often told: plots that go off in different directions, characters that won't do what they are supposed to do, random ideas that just have to be incorporated...

7. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Aww, thanks! So far, my novels have been retro SF/steampunk with a cosy/gentle feel. I've published a trilogy in a world with infectious paranormal powers (not paranormal romance or werewolves), and my most recent book is more conventionally steampunk. Pretty niche appeal, but I'm sure there's a readership for me out there somewhere :)

One night, I was woken up by one of my characters telling me she wanted to kidnap another character. That kind of thing doesn't happen to me often, but it worked beautifully!

8. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Yeah, I'm ready for it, just like every year... ::Lying Book::

9. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Posting here for accountability, so you can all yell at me when I go silent. By the end of November, I *will* have a complete draft of my sequel for my most trusted critique buddy to shred. I will! I will!

10. Lily

Lily Member

Heh, I'm liking the talk about characters having a mind of their own and not doing what they're told XD

Wot no werewolves? No paranormal romance? You...you trendsetter, you :p

Steampunk isn't a genre I'm all that familiar with (only read cyberpunk so far), but it sounds fun! It's good to hear you've decided to go for it this year after all. Best of luck to you, and everyone, Kindler and CIAS too if you decide to take part :)

MHThaung likes this.
  11. CatInASuit

Steampunk is an excellent genre, whether written or the various anime I've seen.

I'm going to be aiming for a smaller target of 10k or about 300 words a day, instead of the full 50k. It's a little more manageable although I have no idea what to write about. Looks like I will be making it up on the fly.

MHThaung likes this.
  12. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Welcome to the club ::unsure::. I always feel I *should* be a outliner, but nothing ever seems to behave.

Yes, I'm so immersed in steampunk that I forget most readers have probably never even heard of it. My book just got cut from the Self-Published SF Contest—it sounded like nobody on the team of judges reads steampunk. Which is totally fair, but reminded me it's a rather small subgenre.

All the best to everyone with their efforts!

Site Sponsors