1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo 2021

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Lily, October 8, 2021.

1. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Ok, so 200 words. I made it. That's me done for November :whistle:

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Yup - definitely done.

So how is everyone else doing ?

3. Lily

Lily Active Member

@MHThaung Are you editing your NaNo draft as you go along? If so, that's just gonna reduce your word count :( Even if the current draft looks messy, (mine is horrible) you can always deal with editing later.

@CatInASuit Thanks for the anime recommendation! I looked it up and fortunately it's a film-length one and not a series.

Thanks also for the word count validator, I'll be sure to make good use of it.

All those side quests were so fun, although I don't think I ever got round to 100 percenting Skies of Arcadia. I still have the game packed away somewhere but I'd love to see it ported to Switch so I could add it to my backlog :p

Btw, this is topical, but I just found out that SteamWorld Dig 2 is currently free on both Steam and GOG! I'll post links in the freebie thread, but hurry if you want it as it's only available for 24 hours and the offer ends tonight.

@Kindler Good for you for making a start. So far I've written 18,854 words (not yet done any writing today though). I think I'm just in a better frame of mind for it this year. As for the actual quality of the writing, we won't talk about that E:sweatsmile:

Anyway, I hope NaNoWriMo is going well for you all. No matter how many words you've written, it's still progress, and better than a blank page!

4. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

I'm not trying to write a whole novel from scratch this month. My priority is getting my part-drafted sequel into a state where I'm not embarrassed to share it with my crit partner. So I'm tidying up the earlier parts and fresh drafting the later ones. It's a mixture of plot spaghetti and quicksand since I'm already planning early plot changes that have knock-on effects for the later parts:baffled:

Lily likes this.
  5. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

@Lily - If you are looking for a series try Full Metal Alchemist instead.
    Also congrats on writing 18,854 words then me. ;)

@MHThaung - How is the editing going? Are you finding that NaNo is providing a good impetus to completing it?

6. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

I'm getting there, thanks! Had good(?) ideas about filling in the various plot holes, and the story elements are (slowly) starting to relate to each other. Maybe I can upgrade it from "total garbage" to "ugly, but kind of understandable." :p

7. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I'm still trying to upgrade mine from notepads to actually in a computer, so you are way ahead of me!

8. skye

skye Active Member

I've written about 10,000 words. I don't think I will finish it this year.

9. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Active Member

About 7,000. I want to finish Dinosaur.

10. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I've doubled my output for the month and I'm up to 500 words. Still well lagging behind everyone else.

11. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

I've heard it helps creativity if you approach writing in different ways. My handwriting is appalling, even when my arthritis isn't playing up, so pen and paper are out for me.
    Some of my side characters now want in on the action. That'll be fun unless they try to steer things too off course...

12. PuzzleRaven

Writer's Block strikes. I've fallen out of love with what I'm writing. It isn't the story I want to tell anymore. The words aren't coming. I am stuck.

13. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Is it the kind of story where a character could decide to make a side trip? Or a story strand gets more complicated than it first appears?

14. tirial

This year I was trying a script for a murder mystery in script format. Now I'm a tech-type person but there is no way I can learn Trelby to get it done in time for the end of the month, so onto my backup plan.

Script = 2,456 typed since 1st Nov.
    Plan B = 5,293 since 9 a.m. this morning. 2 notebooks filled, but I know where this one's going. Gotta pick the pace up. Can I count the script towards my total? Please?

@MHThaung how is your NaNoEdMo going?

15. tirial

Edit: Make that 5925.

16. PuzzleRaven

Thanks for the idea. I had one doing that at the end of the last chapter, so I've just written out half the cast.

17. tirial

18. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I think I will have my usual 2000 or 3000 words, but then that is from the reviews submitted and not really NaNoWriMo

@tirial - you appear to be unblocked.

19. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Things are progressing, even if slowly. I've revised around the first 30% for my crit buddy to look at, although I still don't see clearly to the end. I know the *kind* of ending I'm after. It's "just" a case of steering the story to arrive there naturally.

Since I'm in an editing mood, I'm also doing a light edit of my (already published) AQR trilogy. I released the first book in 2018. Now I'm treating myself to new covers. Might as well polish the text since I'm reformatting anyway.

20. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

@MHThaung - glad to hear it's going well.

I'm looking at the end of the month in a few days time and coming to the realisation that, once again for another year, its' going to be zero.

Oh well, there's always next year.

Site Sponsors