1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo 2021

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Lily, October 8, 2021.

1. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

My problem was technical difficulties: trying to learn Trelby and write a script in it in one month.

My problem right now is my characters. Lead was supposed to go off and get married so the plot progresses. Two chapters earlier someone mentioned narwahls. No, he wants to see the narwhals. Off he goes. I throw a polar bear at him. Narwhals! A second polar bear and I add the bloody narwahls, and now he's happy to go off and get married.

17,538 words on plan B. If I get a half-nano done in a week I'll be feeling pretty good.

2. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

@tirial - Apologies, I appear to have you mixed up with @PuzzleRaven

How is everyone else doing? Will we have anyone who completes it this year?

3. tirial

Good progress then, for the home stretch. Are you going to keep going for December? (Now the problem of steering the story I know - Narwhal, dammit!)

Plan B: 22,594 words. Three new notepads bought because I'm going through one a day. I won't be finishing this year.

4. tirial

Double post. I know, I know.

27,650. Half Nano done in one week. Still going.

5. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Half a NaNo in one week? I think that's more words than I've done over the last ten years, maybe longer.

Great going.

6. tirial

Not really. I missed the 50k, the story's not done and Nano's over.

7. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

I bet steering narwhals is difficult! I ended the month with a 15k net gain of words. Hopefully better words than before. My (non-main) characters are wobbling all over the place, so now to pick out what's plot-appropriate for them and put the rest in storage. I have a week's holiday coming up and will (fingers crossed) continue to power on. (If by "power on" we mean shuffle along v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.)

In terms of "winning" NaNoWriMo or not, if the month helped you to write, great. If not, there's always next time if you feel like it.

8. tirial

When characters won't comply all you can do is power on* so all the best with your character wrangling. December is for editing anyway, isn't it?

33,180 words, and Smiths have discontinued the notepads I was using. Ever think something just doesn't want you to finish a story?

*(or throw a narwhal at a polar bear. It made sense at the time.)

9. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, we should probably add that into the general lexicon.

To Power On TM - to keep going in the face of plot bunnies, annoying characters and the machinations of things not to be mentioned trying to prevent it being completed.

10. tirial

40,498. I will get this done.

11. Terry

Terry Active Member

Congrats to anyone who took part and spent some time towards it.

Good luck to those still going at it.

12. tirial

46,797, and the story reached a natural end. Adding extra words for the sake of word count just doesn't seem right.

(And if I add the extra short I wrote it is over 50k anyway)

13. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Yes! My "this time round" draft has now caught up with my crit buddy's feedback. Still only have a fuzzy idea of the later story, but the foundation feels much more solid. Time to keep powering on ::geek::

14. skye

skye Active Member

When you're powering on, keep powering on!

15. atry

atry Active Member

I skipped it, but I'm cheering on everyone powering on.

And what is Trelby? It is double post but I missed the edit window.

<modnote> Combined posts</modnote>

Last edited by a moderator: December 16, 2021
  16. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Active Member

I need to actually get writing, maybe time at christmas.

17. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I keep reading it as Trilby - and wondering if it is a magic hat that can help with writing.

18. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

::coffee:::confused:My autocorrect keeps giving me Trilby results. What is Trelby:baffled:?

19. tirial

@atry, sorry I only just saw this.

Trelby is software that allows you to write directly into script format for tv and film. It really doesn't work like Word or Open Office e.g. where things are on the page determines what format they should be in, making cutting and pasting hard, and there is a lot of white space. My problem is that the script format it uses isn't one I am familiar with, even it is an industry standard. Lots of whitespace and centred character name in caps then text below.

I'm more used to the left aligned layout with only stage directions to the right or centre, e.g. Oedipus

Site Sponsors