Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

New Function: Social Sharing

Discussion in 'Site News' started by tirial, 16 Apr 2017.

1. tirial

tirial Member

We're looking at getting rid of Addthis, since it is one of the main things that slows the site down, and bringing social sharing inhouse. This would allow a few extras:

• speed the site up (lots)
    • tracking social shares ourselves
    • reward signed in members with diamonds for social shares.
    Feedback on this would be useful. What social networks matter (Facebook and twitter obviously but any others?) How many diamonds would you like? Should we still display the number of social shares for a page?

Please give the feedback while this is on the drawing board. It's easier to make changes now than once we have built it!

2. You might consider Instagram.

3. tirial

tirial Member

Unfortunately Instagram does not allow sharing of images and links from sites to Instagram via its API (T&Cs). It is a breach of their T&Cs. We could do Follow buttons, but since Bookangel isn't on Instagram there's no account for them to follow.

4. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Is there any chance you could add the number of times the pages were shared back into this system?

Books Bits 'n Bobs likes this.
  5. littlesister

littlesister New Member

This is a great idea! Since social networking has grown to massive proportions, you really need to take advantage of this. Have you created a Facebook page? Facebook allows sharing to groups with similar interests for free. This would expand knowledge of Bookangel around the globe.

6. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

The board staff can fill in the details, but as far as I remember the last time we tried to create a Facebook page they asked the member who was sponsoring it to photocopy her driving licence or passport and send it to them. We are not doing that.

7. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Tregaron, I agree that that's out of line. It sounds like a scam. I know people who have pages for their cats, and I doubt they provided ID.

My only suggestion is to make sure multiple people have access to whatever you create, so you never get locked out. Proving yourself to Twitter or Facebook to get access at a later time is pretty much impossible.

8. jessica

jessica Active Member

o_O I don't think there are any original club members on Facebook.

9. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

To bring this back on-topic: This thread is about the replacement of AddThis with integral sharing buttons which happened in Apr and May. The next planned update is capturing shares and updating the tracking numbers to include tweets.

We do not have a facebook page because one of our members volunteered to set one up, created a Facebook account with some reluctance, created the page and two days later Facebook closed both until she provided them with copies of her a driver's licence and passport, which would immediately compromise reviewer's anonomity. We have been asked to pay social media marketers to run one for us. The answer is no, as the site is on a shoestring already and there simply isn't the money.

There is nothing preventing anyone creating an unofficial fan page, as long as they state it is unofficial.

10. tirial

tirial Member

11. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

It's amazing just how much data gets stored when you go online. Not to mention Facebook and the creepy social experiments.

As for the Social Shares, I'd go for 2 points a share if you can track em back.