1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

No-yeast bread recipe

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by Lily, May 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Lily

Lily Member

Curious if anyone has ever made this type of bread before and how it turned out. I found a recipe here which looks simple enough even for me lol.

Emergency No Yeast Bread - Bake it in a Hurry!

I love bread, can't go a day without eating it, so I plan to try making this sometime soon, as a sort of practice run in preparation for times I run out of the packaged stuff and it's too cold and miserable to go up the road to the shops.

2. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Not made one myself - I'm no baker - but it does look like a quick and fun recipe.

If you do make one - pics are always welcome.

3. Lily

Lily Member

I made it! Attempted the 'genuine emergency, no-milk' version and it turned out a bit different from what I was expecting but it still tasted nice. For one thing, it didn't rise all that much, despite following the recipe to the letter. I'm not sure what I did wrong as the baking powder was new. It was similar to a baguette in texture, crusty on the outside and soft on the inside.

52 53

4. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

Nice! I'll have to try that. How do you think it would do for sarnies?

5. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Hey congrats - glad to hear it turned out well and tasty.

Wonder if you could use this in making baguettes as you suggest?

6. Lily

Lily Member

@Mine all mine @CatInASuit Thanks! With the way mine turned out, it wouldn't have been good enough for a sandwich tbh. It never rose properly and the crust was a bit too...well, crusty, for my liking, but it tasted nice fresh from the oven, hot and buttered with soup for lunch. I'm not sure it would rise all that much anyway, due to the lack of yeast, but as a pseudo-baguette, sure :) I've made it a couple of times since, but with added milk and a bit more oil than the recipe states, which led to a softer and fluffier loaf.

Site Sponsors