1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Giveaway PERMANENTLY Free [games/apps]

Discussion in 'Games & Giveaways' started by Lily, October 19, 2021.

1. Lily

Lily Active Member

I thought it would be a good idea to create a separate thread for permafree games, so they don't get lost in the other thread containing time-limited freebies. Please feel free to add to this!

Since it's October, here are some lovely, free horror games, all on Steam.

Shiver
    Shiver on Steam

From the store page:
    Welcome to Windy Oaks National Park. A beautiful and chilling point-and-click horror adventure. On your way to visit your aging father, everything goes wrong, leaving you trapped and isolated.

This was priced initially but the studio closed down so the developers made the game free. I played this some time last year and thought it was really good. It has Steam achievements and took about 3 hours to complete. No bugs or any other issues encountered.

Dinner with an Owl
    Dinner with an Owl on Steam

Store page:
    Break the puzzling spell of your eccentric host! A short surreal point and click adventure.

Very short but well worth playing. I cleared it in 40 minutes, and that was playing slowly E:sweatsmile:

The Supper
    The Supper on Steam

Store page:
    A short adventure game about the darkest side of the human soul. Ms. Appleton was always a wellspring of kindness, until The Voice started talking to her.

Very short game, which I completed in 30 mins. Well worth playing.

The Terrible Old Man
    The Terrible Old Man on Steam

Store page:
    Experience a bite-sized slice of Lovecraftian horror in this updated version of our cult freeware point and click adaptation of HP Lovecraft's classic short story.

This one took me 35 mins to complete. Short ones like this are perfect for trying to make a dent in a massive backlog of games.

Well, that'll do for now. There are plenty more I can post in future though, fellow freebie fans E:sunglasses: Happy gaming!

2. Lily

Lily Active Member

A couple more games in time for Halloween!

Dagon
    Face unspeakable horrors. Succumb to madness. Welcome to a free daemonic narrative experience inspired by H. P. Lovecraft.

Dagon: by H. P. Lovecraft on Steam

This is one I haven't had a chance to play yet, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Trick & Treat
    (Cute not scary)

Trick or treating in a vampire's house. Trick & Treat is a light-hearted Halloween adventure. It's about exploring and solving puzzles in a spooky atmosphere.

Trick & Treat on Steam

It's a short game. I haven't had a chance to complete it yet, but from what I've seen so far, it's incredibly cute and fluffy!

3. Lily

Lily Active Member

Dagon is now also on GOG, if you'd like a DRM-free copy of it.

Dagon: by H. P. Lovecraft

Requirements: GOG account (free)

******************************​

Next up is the Mysteries of Peak Valley trilogy. I played these a couple of years ago and think they're worth recommending if you enjoy old school point and click games. Some grammatical errors (devs are Dutch iirc) but not too bad/annoying. You play as a psychic medium who investigates spooky occurrences.

The third game is also available on Android/iOS, but it's worth playing the first two in order to understand the story. 1-2 are only available on Itch.io, a platform for indie games. Creating an account is optional, but all three games can be downloaded DRM-free without registering, via the link below. Each download comes with a PDF walkthrough but most of the puzzles were straightforward and logical, so with one exception, I only used the guides after completion, to check I hadn't missed anything.

Note: MPV 3 has a piano puzzle which can be difficult for non-musical people like me. The devs included the solution in the walkthrough but that still wasn't enough for me, so I made a copy of the picture and labelled the piano keys on it. I'm not sure if it's okay to post that sort of link here, but if anyone wants that pic, please let me know and I can send you it.

All three games are available here (right-hand side of the page):

Sunny Penguin Games - itch.io

4. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

So, the creators have been on London transport then. Brave Souls indeed.

Picked this one up for the backlog.

Lily likes this.
  5. Lily

Lily Active Member

E:tearsofjoy:E:tearsofjoy:E:tearsofjoy:

I was thinking of reading the story before tackling the game. I may have read it in the past but I can't remember, although I seem to think Dagon is
    a reference to some sort of fish creature.

Site Sponsors