1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Poetry written by an AI

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Lily, March 20, 2021.

1. Lily

Lily Member

2. luri

luri Member

I just read this poem composed by an AI (which appears in The Guardian). I really liked it. If it was not mentioned that the lines were composed by an AI, I would never know. Unlike other article generation software that generates poor content, this piece is superb.

3. Lily

Lily Member

That's interesting, thank you! I'm not familiar at all with modern poetry, so I was curious to know what other people thought of it and if whether the AI's poem was considered 'good' or not.

I also sent the article to a friend who replied with 'it all sounds very dystopian' and then we just ended up cracking jokes about Skynet ::lol:: I did like the line about a 'box of light' though; some lovely imagery there.

4. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Is it wrong, that all I can think of is to wonder if it works as a Turing Test?

5. sliara

sliara Member

I'm not really sure of this. I wouldn't bother training a robot with something that's linked with entertainment and creativity, since the training makes it all fake anyway. I would train an AI robot for mundane and menial tasks, since that would be more practical and they can help us.

6. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

There were some nice turns of phrase, but the rhyme scheme and flow for a classic poem was missing. It's not something that would stay with me for life or make any deep and lasting impression. Given the age of the composer, I suppose that is to be expected.

I should, I suppose, page @RhymeHunter for a professional opinion if she is around.

7. Lily

Lily Member

@sliara To be fair, this kind of research and the type done for practical purposes would be carried out by entirely different people, and there's room for both I think. I'm probably biased though as I find the whimsical nature of this experiment rather appealing.

@CatInASuit a Turing Test sounds pretty much spot on, actually!

@Reader 'Given the age of the composer' – that's a great way of putting it! I couldn't figure out what it was, since I had nothing to compare it to, but I think you nailed it with your comments about the rhyme scheme and flow.

8. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Problem is all something like that can do is copy what it has been told is good poetry and be programmed to avoid what it has been told is bad poetry and so you end up with an "uncanny valley" poem.

But, it's a goal that has a ton of applications if they could get it right, although I don't think it will be putting anyone out of a job any time soon. It's the ability for a computer to be able to understand nuance in language they are aiming for. I would guess at this moment in time, it's a lot harder for an AI to create a poem than a novel, just because of the tight use of language and meaning that is implied.

Actually having seen some of the books that get generated, I'd wouldn't be shocked if they were AI driven.

Lily likes this.
  9. Hova

Hova New Member

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Site Sponsors