Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Reviewing books

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Ellie Jane, 29 Nov 2017.

1. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

Whether you're simply leaving a review on Amazon or you're writing for a blog, do you find it tough to review the books you've read? What are some of the things you consider? How long have you been creating reviews?

2. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

I've had various review blogs over the years. I've never tried to focus on particular elements. Since I tend to read widely nothing would work for everything. The worst part is going to write a review for a book I enjoyed and finding I have no idea what to say. I think I started my first review blog in college so that would have me reviewing off and on for over 10 years. I don't think I've gotten any better at it.

Ellie Jane likes this.
  3. natalie

natalie Member

I've done some freelance book reviews in the past. Jordan, I think it can sometimes be more difficult to talk positively about a book than it is to be negative. I think there are just so many ways to say things that are wrong with a book and keep things interesting. But with positive reviews, it can sound too glowing, cliche, or just, I don't know - words just always seem to fail me (or I fail them). It takes me a lot longer to write those reviews.

Other than that though, I don't find it too tough to review books I've read. Even with the positive reviews, I don't think they're ridiculously difficult unless there's some kind of word count I need to meet that's on the higher side (like 500). For reviews, I typically avoid too many plot specifics, as per the rules on the site I usually write for, and focus on things like themes, characterization, writing style, world-building, etc. It all depends on the genre of the book though. I guess I've been doing it for about two years now.

Ellie Jane likes this.
  4. Donna

Donna Member

I used to write reviews for my students. It wasn't hard as long as the book was interesting. What's hard is writing ones for the mediocre and uninteresting books that might appeal to others. It is difficult Natalie, to write those. I always enjoy reading review written by others.

Ellie Jane likes this.