Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Review Smoke me a Kipper

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Bookangel, 12 Apr 2017.

1. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Smoke me a Kipper

Looking back now it also has one problem: it has dated very badly.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Apr 2017
  2. HattieMoon

HattieMoon Member

I think it is very difficult to write a book about specific issues or people unless purely as a historical exercise, so this was doomed to failure from the outset. I haven't read more than what was free to look at because I wouldn't want to support the writer in any way, and what I did see was, well, pretty horrible. (That goes for content and style.) I can't believe there have even been three positive reviews. Total trash.

3. Meryl

Meryl Member

I think this author made the mistake of choosing to write about something about which her knowledge was vague at best and that spelled doom for the book. I think focusing on topics that they know more about or at least spending more time doing the necessary research would be a good idea in future.

4. Miranda

Miranda Member

These are the kind of mistakes that a new author might make. I don't know if this author has written a book before this one, but here's hoping that the next one (if there is a next one after this...) will be better than this one.

5. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I wonder what the write would have put down five years later, once brexit had occurred and if it was still the same story.

6. HattieMoon

HattieMoon Member

That's very generous, and essentially I do agree completely. Still, when you have problems with both content AND style maybe it's time to get a different job/hobby.

7. jessica

jessica Active Member

Yeah, I really wasn't impressed:(.

8. clair02

clair02 Member

That is so true. There is only so much that good research skills or a great editor will be able to accomplish. Sometimes you just have to accept that something isn't what you're meant to be doing.