1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rorona Saga (or How much trouble can one game be?)

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by tirial, June 8, 2021.

1. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

With it coming to the end of lockdown a month ago, and only a week or so to go, tragedy struck: we ran out of console games to play.

We'd tried the Atelier games before, and found them slightly too cute for our tastes. This wasn't entirely the game's fault as diabetes-inducing cuteness is magnified when you try to play it straight after a platinum run on Prototype.

Still the only thing on the shelves unplayed was Atelier Rorona (original) so we decided what the hell, we could play it and at the least mock it for fun for a few days until we could find something else.

One week in and we were hooked, and even the game's rather too cute and decidedly thick heroine could be forgiven. Note this is not an insult to Rorona herself. Even her teacher recruited her purely because she was thick - it is akin to the "average five year old girl advisor principle" for evil overlords, and, trust me, Alchemy Master Astrid would make a magnificent evil overlord.

One week in and lockdown was over.

One week in and the person we had borrowed the game from was also out of lockdown and wanted it back.

Blast.

So we sent it back. It should not have been hard to find another copy after all. It is an old game, and there was a copy in a game shop in town.

Except there wasn't. That was Atelier Rorona Plus, a remake of the game with different mechanics, an altered story, an utterly nerfed difficulty, and most important of all a total incompatibility with our save file.

So we tried Game, whose attitude was 'what is this strange antique PS3 device from the dawn of history?' and an assistant who seemed to think her Dad might have had one once. She did helpfully ask if we could get it on Android on our phones.

We tried CEX. Closest copy: Ilford. Likelihood of making that journey for a ten pound game? Not a chance.

We tried Amazon. We looked at prices. We drew in breath like a plumber confronted with a job, or tech support presented with a Windows Vista box with 128mb of Ram and an owner who wants it upgraded to Windows 10.

So we bit the bullet and ordered it from CEX online. Four days later it arrived! Triumphantly we opened the enveloper to find Atelier Ayesha. Not what we had ordered, and the order slip definitely said Rorona. Opening it we found an Ayesha manual and a Rorona disc, so they got one part of the order right.

We emailed CEX about a return. At the same time, now forced back to Ratchet and Clank 3 for the umpteenth time and starting to side with Doctor Nefarious, we bit the bullet and ordered on Amazon. A brand-new shrinkwrapped copy, so this time we knew we were getting the game we ordered. What could go wrong?

Four days later it arrived. The hall was filled with shredded packaging and for once the cats weren't responsible. Through the shrinkwrap, the cover glinted pristinely, Rorona's pretty pink face smiling vacantly at us. The shrinkwrap hit the bin. The case opened to reveal Atelier not-Rorona.

Atelier Rorona case. Atelier Toturi manual and disc.

The universe was trying to tell us something. I was quietly beginning to think we shouldn't have sent the CEX copy back, we could have assembled something resembling a single copy, or at least a disc in the right case.

We emailed the seller to arrange a return and refund. At the same time, we cracked and went back to CEX. This time we ordered two copies. They couldn't mess both up right?

The seller on Amazon was very apologetic, though it wasn't their fault at all. The game was shrinkwrapped, there was no way they could have known. They told us to keep it, so we got a copy of Atelier Toturi, but as it was the sequel we did not really want to play it until a useable copy of Rorona arrived in hopefully four days.

The next day a new package arrived priority. The seller had not given us a refund. They had sent an entirely new copy. The package opened: Atelier Rorona. It was shrinkwrapped, it was complete, it was the right version! The shrinkwrap came off, and somehow, somehow, it was actually the right game!

We were delighted. Atelier Rorona was on and Ratchet, after killing Nefarious in record time for the umpteenth time, was off.

We gazed upon the streets of Aaland until late into the evening. Next morning we were distracted by the sound of post through the door.

Two packages, both brown envelopes, one a little battered. Two Atelier Rorona cases. We knew better than to trusat this by now. We opened one. Atelier Rorona manual and disc, not even the Plus version. It was correct. Ah but the second one...also an Atelier Rorona original manual case and disc. Two used copies, exactly as ordered.

Why couldn't they have got this right the first time?

So that's why we now have three copies of Rorona's naive grins now staring down identically at us like malign triplets from my gaming shelf.

So, uh, anyone want a copy?

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Ah, so this is what they mean by a real-life fetch quest. Next you will be asked to find 15 mini USB cables to charge a PS3 controller.

How is the game, and er.. how much?

3. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

Sounds like the kind of thing I might have done, other than... we have a PS2.

4. Terry

Terry Member

The PS2 is still the best console of all time, so many good titles.

It's amazing how many of them saw re-releases on the PS4 and will probably turn up on the PS5 in some form.

5. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

It certainly gives me a sense of nostalgia - although I've not had time to play for many years.
    If memory serves me right, I started off with a Sega Master System II, then a Megadrive, plus a trip through various hand held gaming devices (Game Gear? even an Atari Lynx?) They certainly don't make them like they used to :)

6. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Game Gear...
    Atari Lynx...
    Those are some handheld flashbacks ::cool::

7. MHThaung

MHThaung Member

I think I took "Gotta catch 'em all" a bit too literally!

8. Tregaron

Tregaron Active Member

Oh, that brings back memories. I went through Sapphire with my Mightyena until the battery died. Pokemon Go just wasn't the same. I found out the hard way that the time it takes to catch Pokemon when out on a walk is just enough time for the collies to get into mud/trouble/burrs/after rabbits.

Site Sponsors