1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Time magazine - 100 Best Fantasy Books

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Kindler, October 25, 2020.

1. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

MODERATOR WARNING: Discussions must be relevant to indie books. Further off-topic posts will be deleted.

Ok, the last list wasn't so great on the best books of the 21st Century.

This one is a lot closer to what I would consider a list I agree with, the 100 Best fantasy books from over the ages from Time.

Here are a load of books I have already read and can see why they are so good. I'm tempted to just go through the list and read all the ones I haven't seen yet. May take a little while, but I think it would be worth it.

So, a question for all the fine folks out there, what do you think of the list and is there anything missing or any critiques you might have on what they chose.

Last edited by a moderator: March 8, 2021
  2. Terry

Terry Member

I think what surprised me is how many books you could say were kids books on there.

Strange how Sci-Fi is always thought of as an adult genre, and fantasy usually a kids genre and they always get lumped together.

Lots of good books I have read on there though and I guess some I should go and read.

Is there any way to put a list on here of the books, so it's easier to go down the list and find them?

3. nangk08

nangk08 New Member

Amazing collection of fantasy books of which I have read only a very few and so many that I haven't read. I just wonder if H. G. Wells books like The Island of Dr. Moreau or Time Machine etc. qualify as fantasy books to be included in this list?

4. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Reminder @Kindler : Content should be relevant to independent and small press books.

I'll leave it up for now, but keep it relevant. We do not want a repeat of the Nicholas Sparks Fan Club invasion.

5. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I would not say so. To my mind, those are science-fiction titles, or fall under the modern umbrella term of speculative fiction exploring the use of science, not fantasy. Fantasy tends to present strange worlds as the setting for the story, rather than using them as a largely unexplored base for a story that explores consequence or principle.

Could we produce a hundred best strictly fantasy books here? Before I receive a relevance reminder, prior to around 1950 (and some would say later, up until the existence of the Big 4) most publishing was in modern terms, small press or self-published.

nangk08 likes this.
  6. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Sorry - it just seemed like an interesting article.

In my defence, there are a lot of books on there I've read that I picked up as small paperbacks at the time. :whistle:

7. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire Scribe

Can we go with Guy Gavril Kay's work? The Fionavar Tapestry is often overlooked, but it is as good as any I have read. It isn't indie, but no one's perfect.

8. Hova

Hova New Member

There is some pretty good shit in there. It is crazy how Harry Potter is on every list. People love this shit low-key.

9. luri

luri Member

I am really surprised that the list has included only one book from A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. I have not read any book in this fantasy novel series, however, I have watched each episode in the TV adaptation. Fantasy is not my favorite genre in literature, I have not read any of the books on the list. However, I like watching fantasy movies, therefore, I have watched some of the movies based on the books mentioned in the list.

10. Hova

Hova New Member

Maybe the series are straight fire but the movie adaptations suck. The guys that make the movies sometimes don't do the books justice.

11. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

This thread was left open due to Reader's suggestion. As discussion remains off-topic with no relevance to indie books, this is the second warning. If this thread continues to receive posts with no relevance to indie books, it will be shut and all participants will receive warnings.

12. sliara

sliara Member

I haven't read any of the novels in the list, and I barely have time to read nowadays. But the ones that I've read are the novels of Sidney Sheldon. They're quite good.

Site Sponsors