1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Tryptich

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by CatInASuit, October 8, 2021.

1. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

I have been privately notified about a possible need for privacy in this case. If this is a concern, register putting in the email of the person who made contact, but change the domain to bookangel.co.uk. I will manually approve it. Conversations are private.

2. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

@Bookangel just pointed me at this: Book cancellation, Part 3 and last: final death

I've had my work stolen in the past, and all I can say is that I am very, very, sorry to hear that update. Struggling authors really don't need people making it harder for them. I know. I've been one.

3. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

::SadBook::::weeping::
    I don't understand. I looked at lulu and there are 100+MLP fanfic books on there alone.
    ::concern::

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Perhaps because the author is in the US. The UK law on fanfiction is rather less restrictive after the 2014 amendment.
    Code:
    5.—(1) After section 30 insert—
    “30A  Caricature, parody or pastiche

(1) Fair dealing with a work for the purposes of caricature, parody or pastiche does not infringe copyright in the work.

(2) To the extent that a term of a contract purports to prevent or restrict the doing of any act which, by virtue of this section, would not infringe copyright, that term is unenforceable.”

(2) In Schedule 2, after paragraph 2 insert—
    “Caricature, parody or pastiche

2A.—(1) Fair dealing with a performance or a recording of a performance for the purposes of caricature, parody or pastiche does not infringe the rights conferred by this Chapter in the performance or recording.

(2) To the extent that a term of a contract purports to prevent or restrict the doing of any act which, by virtue of this paragraph, would not infringe any right conferred by this Chapter, that term is unenforceable.

(3) Expressions used in this paragraph have the same meaning as in section 30A.”.
    Should the work be pastiche - a celebration of the work of another author - there would be little issue with printing it here. Online print agencies are usually based in the US, so follow a less liberal line.

Site Sponsors