1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

UK govt ad for prostitutes?

Discussion in 'The Dive' started by Mine all mine, October 12, 2020.

1. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Active Member

C'mon, someone has to have told them what cyber means... They really think people are outraged because arts people are being told to leave the arts. Yeah, right.

Uk govt put out an ad for retraining people, with the most badly worded caption ever:

"Fatima's Next Job could be in Cyber"

Really? Ballerinas should be selling their bodies online? Is that the official government message?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: October 12, 2020
  2. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

My apologies for the delay in posting your thread. I have recovered this from the moderation queue, as your title was caught in the filters. As it is about an official government message, I am moving it to the Dive for both politics and questionable content.

On a personal note, thank you for posting. Suddenly the outrage makes far more sense than a simple suggestion that people should retrain. None of the newspapers seemed willing to say what, aside from a certain tone-deafness, the problem was.

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I take it 'cyber' and 'cybering' aren't as well known as I thought then. I saw the ad and howled. They can't have asked their IT staff to check it, or worse they did and no one told them.

Lets see, we have:
    • A ballerina lacing up shoes,
    • A middle Eastern name "Fatima"
    • And a suggestion that her next job should be Cyber. Not cyber security, not cybernetics, but cyber, short for cyber sex.
    There are no words. A lot of pointing and laughing at how fucking out of touch they are, but no words.

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Personally, I shall take it as a commentary on the arts funding and the resources dedicated to retraining. Fatima's next job may be as a sex worker because, first, the government retraining and reskilling initiative won't cover her at all and, second, they have also defunded the arts programs so she has no choice because she has to pay the bills.

The government leaving people on the streets is not new, but advertising their falings is a degree of shamelessness I have rarely seen.

5. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I've seen a few versions of this, but did no-one actually sanity check what they were doing?

Then again it's government and being horribly out of touch is very much them.

Can't wait for the next one, "Congrats, local actor, you can play at being a butler for some upper class twit."

Site Sponsors