Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Universal URLs

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by C. Lee McKenzie, 28 Oct 2016.

1. Has anyone tried using a Universal URL for their buy links to Amazon? I'm trying them out for two of my books. When someone clicks on that link it opens in any Amazon store around the world, not just the Amazon US. I think it's a convenient way to post free books and saves the potential buyer extra clicks.

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

That's useful for books when you can get it from a local source, but better because the buyer is doing it in their own language so are more likely to buy I would guess.

For ebooks, it probably doesn't matter so much...

...nah, of course it does. I always get annoyed when I get sent to .com instead of .co.uk and Amazon whinges at me for it

3. tirial

tirial Member

Yes, and there are a few good ones. If you're not fussed about affiliate links, ebk.link which bookangel supplies is useful because it doesn't have any so it doesn't get caught by adblockers and you can use it for any Book/ASIN. Otherwise viewbook.at is useful as it lets you drop your own affiliate link in, but you have to create an account and normally only link your own books & author pages.

C. Lee McKenzie likes this.
  4. jessica

jessica Active Member

Do you think it's worth ebk.link allowing affiliate tags?

5. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

It's doable - only question is if we should.

Of course, people are going to start asking for Kobo as well :)

6. tirial

tirial Member

That's actually a good idea. I mean, how many people even know ebk.link is available for use outside bookangel? We should probably look at putting it on its own site.

There's a degree of self interest here: the bookangel site is getting a bit large to provide IT support for on an ad hoc basis. Splitting it down would make things easier.

C. Lee McKenzie likes this.
  7. Quiet Sun

Quiet Sun New Member

I think that is one of the best things you can do if you have an online store. Are there any technical drawbacks to this?

8. Terry

Terry Member

Depends on the link shortener.

There's nothing really that complicated by a link shortener. It's everything around it that can get large: link creation, analytics and so on.