1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Watch YouTube videos without Google

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by Lily, October 9, 2021.

1. Lily

Lily Member

This may already be well-known, but I'm posting it here anyway.

It's possible to watch YouTube videos without dealing with Google by using DuckDuckGo.

DuckDuckGo — Privacy, simplified.

Search, e.g. 'cat videos' and on the results page click the Videos tab.

Be sure to click the actual image rather than the title of the video, because the latter will take you straight to YouTube.

Clicking an image will display a YouTube privacy warning and give an option to 'watch here'. Doing that gives the same options as watching directly on YT, such as full screen, subtitles/closed captions, ability to change playback speed and video quality.

Limitations: A search made by pasting in the exact url of a video doesn't seem to work, at least not with the ones I've tried, but it's a decent method if you don't have a specific video in mind and are okay with a random selection to choose from.

MHThaung likes this.
  2. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

True, it's a nice way to not have to deal with Google, but you're still going to get tracked if you have any google cookies (and you will have google cookies, they're everywhere) if you watch them.

On the other hand...so many cute cat videos, I could be here for hours.

3. Lily

Lily Member

Yes, unfortunately this method doesn't completely cut out Google, we're still going to be tracked :/ (and I'm saying this as someone who has an Android phone and a YouTube channel). Maybe a combination of Tor + DuckDuckGo...?

4. CatInASuit

Seeing as a lot of the detects don't just go off the cookies they can leave behind, but also and and every bit of information they can get to try and profile your machine based of the computer type, OS, browser details and so on.
    It's quite surprising just how much info they can get.

5. Lily

Lily Member

Most of the time I'm too lazy to deal with the cookie customisation stuff before being able to watch anything directly on YouTube, that's the main reason why I began using this method, but this level of tracking is seriously creepy and disturbing, so thank you for explaining that. I wasn't aware of just how bad it actually is.

I'm not sure, but I may have managed to fool some advertisers at least. They seem to think I'm a man, for one thing. Also, this was a recent ad on my news app: 'A private jet may cost less than you think!' E:tearsofjoy:

6. CatInASuit

It is surprisingly scary. I was looking at one thing on one website and the next thing I know all the google ads popping up across all the sites where related to what I was looking at.

Also very annoying because I had no intention of buying the item in question.

Site Sponsors