1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ereaders and Tech Support now has its own area for all your kindle bugs and technological wandering wonders. (Relevant older threads are being moved here.)
    Dismiss Notice

Windows XP Laptop Help

Discussion in 'Other Technological Wonders' started by Eileen R, October 6, 2021.

1. Eileen R

Eileen R Member

Hi,

Ma's laptop broke. I used the Windows discs to install Windows again, and it turns on. Now it has a "This copy has not been activated" message. I can't fix it.

Tina saiud you could help.

Regards
    Eileen R.

2. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

I have edited your message and username to remove personal details before releasing it from the mod queue. Please check your email for further information.

Paging @tirial @CatInASuit @Mine all mine ?

3. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Active Member

Just ignore that. Windows works anyway if its XP. You didn't say in the message.

4. Eileen R

Eileen R Member

Its worrying Ma and she doesn't like it.

5. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

What laptop, what version of Windows? If you don't know how to check the Windows version, go onto Start, then right-click My Computer, then click Properties on the menu that appears. Read the text that comes up. You want the version of Windows and the Service Pack if it appears.

6. Eileen R

Eileen R Member

Windows XP. Ma doesn't get on with the new stuff. It says Service Pack 2.

7. tirial

Okay, just to confirm, you are sure it is not Service Pack 3?

I need to know what model or make of laptop, e.g. HP, Acer. Also do you have a valid licence key? Its normally on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop, or by the keyboard. Just say yes or no, don't share the actual number.

8. Eileen R

Eileen R Member

It's a Dell. The message says Service Pack 2. Is that wrong? I used the licence key on the discs that came with it. There isn't one on the laptop. It might have worn off.

9. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: October 11, 2021
  10. Eileen R

Eileen R Member

It doesn't stop the message appearing. How do I stop the message appearing?

11. tirial

Sometimes the licence key is on the discs instead of the case - as long as you have one that came with the computer it is fine.

Okay, the message is because (I think) the activation servers for Windows XP have been turned off. As long as you have a legit licence key for that machine, which you say you do, there is a way to fix this. You will need to change certain settings inside the computer. I can send you instructions.

You can write off the windows install doing this. If that happens, don't worry and just reinstall from the discs like you did last time. You won't write off the computer itself so if this does happen, it is always recoverable, just annoying and time consuming.

Are you sure you want to do this? It is a lot of trouble for an old machine.

12. Eileen R

Eileen R Member

Yes. Ma's a little elderly and can't really understand the newer ones. If I can get it working for her it will make her very happy.

13. tirial

Ok. How comfortable are you with computers? So I know how to pitch the instructions and what level you want.

a) You use apps, not programs.

b) You install Windows yourself confidently

c) You have edited the Windows registry manually

14. Eileen R

Eileen R Member

I can install Windows from disc. I don't know what c is.

15. tirial

Okay. I'll include screenshots. Don't take it personally if I make these instructions really basic. You'll need to either use a Restore Point or edit the Registry. The most important thing is not to panic. Remember, if something goes wrong, it is recoverable.

Are you happy to proceed?

16. Eileen R

Eileen R Member

Yes. Please make them easy.

17. tirial

OK. Check your messages. (At the top of your board there is your name and the word Inbox next to it. There should be a 1 above it. Click on Inbox to get to your messages.)

If you need help, let me know.

Site Sponsors