Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Writing a Good Plot

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by jy76, 12 Mar 2017.

1. jy76

jy76 New Member

In order to make a story even mildly interesting, a good plot needs to be devised. The main character in the story needs to overcome some obstacle. However, once the obstacle is decided upon by the writer, he/she then has to figure out interesting ways to allow the star of the story to overcome his/her problem.

Anyone have some basic ideas on how to tackle this dilemma? :)

to7update likes this.
  2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Well one way to do it would be start at the end and work backwards to the beginning you want.

If I was doing it, I'd probably bullet point each of the important events from start to end and try to write scenes that go from one point to the next. At least that way the story doesn't meander because you are writing to a fixed line.

3. tirial

tirial Member

Start with looking up the three basic conflicts (mana against man, man against himself, and man against nature) and the hero's journey. It sounds cliche, but they are referenced so much for a reason.

4. Context

Context New Member

Yes, so I always revert to what type of person I created, then realistically assume what that type of person would do. You don't want a character to "act" out of character. This is why my characters are a bit out of the mainstream and the type of people I personally can relate to. The ways they handle real life problems are going to make for good reading.

5. Meryl

Meryl Member

I'm with you on that one, Context. That's where a lot of these stories lose their readers when the characters behave in a way that is so obviously unlike them.

6. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

This is where "Show, don't tell" really ought to be enforced. I don't want to hear how well the protagonist did from other characters, I want to see it happening in front of me.

Admittedly, this all makes it a little harder for the author, but it makes the book so much more authentic

7. Have you heard of Writing Coach, Mary Buckham? I took one of her free Webinars last month and was blown away by her ideas on plotting. She's great because she appeals to the pantser as well as the plotter.

Angel likes this.
  8. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

pantser? :confused:

Ok I have to ask -what is a pantser??

9. littlesister

littlesister New Member

Pantsers are people who like to write by the "seat of their pants" hence the name. Plotters tend to use an outline and follow it religiously. Pantsers write on the fly and if they don't like a character, they just kill them off. Deciding which you are can save your writing life according to that article.

10. Demi

Demi Member

This is a problem many writers face. I believe that you should either develop your own outline or use one that's already made. Write out the plot on paper, then type it on the computer, so that you can go over it and make any changes necessary.