Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

At all Times!

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Donna, 18 Dec 2017.

1. Donna

Donna Member

Never leave the house without a book in tow. Keep one with you at all times. You never know when you will have a few minutes to read. Stuck in traffic maybe. Waiting on a package or a meal. These are all good times to read. Don't you think?

Ellie Jane likes this.
  2. natalie

natalie Member

I agree! I pretty much always have a book on me. Even if I don't, I've usually got a phone/tablet with the Kindle app, so that's basically the same thing. I don't think I've ever read while I was stuck in traffic though.

3. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

When I had a longer commute, I always had an audiobook in the car to help pass the time.

When I know I'll have a wait somewhere, like the doctor, I always take a physical book. Otherwise, I'm like Natalie and have Kindle & Libby apps on my phone if I'm caught off guard. I made good use of my Kindle app once when I waited through boring parts of a music festival for a band I wanted to see.

4. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

I get totally absorbed when reading and I would be gutted if something happened while I was too distracted to react. I enjoy a good audiobook though. They don't draw me in the same way for some reason.

Jordan, where do you like to shop for audiobooks?

5. Belle

Belle Member

I'm like you, Ellie Jane. I do read a lot of digital books and also listen to audiobooks, especially while I'm driving or doing chores, but the truth is neither of those make you feel the way a physical book does when you read it.

6. Donna

Donna Member

I tried to listen to audio books but just could not get into them. It was almost like a chore for me so I took them back to the library and returned to my regular hard cover page turning books. Ahhhhhhh!!

7. Belle

Belle Member

I guess there are a lot of us old school people here. It makes me feel good to think that no matter how fast and how much the world changes, the love of books will never fade.

8. Donna

Donna Member

An addition here. I was out this past weekend with hubby and he wanted to run in here and there for just a minute so I stayed in the car. You guessed it. I had no book. So, I think I will put one in the car from now on just to have it handy.

9. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Ellie Jane, I get my audiobooks from the library. They have CDs for checkout and downloadable options too.

Donna, I'm the first to admit that not all books are good on audio. I'm actually super picky about the reader and if I don't like the voice, I usually can't get into it. George Guidall is one of my favorites. His voice is so soothing.

10. Belle

Belle Member

I know what you mean, Jordan. I find that I usually don't retain as much of the information from the book when I listen to the audio version. I guess I concentrate more when my eyes actually have to be on the book.

11. Terry

Terry Member

It's a good thing to remember, although I usually have to remember I have an ebook reader with me. I spend my time staring out of windows seeing the world go by.

I've not tried doing audiobooks on a commute. Maybe one to think about.

12. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I remember just for fun trying out Amazon on my phone, as I always had it around. I could read about 10 lines of text at a time, which was no fun at all when looking at a full sized novel.

I was there for days just trying to get through this one book., instead of a few hours. Stuck to a Kindle after that.