Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Best writing spots?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Ellie Jane, 24 Aug 2017.

1. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

Where do you head when you need a good writing spot? Someplace where your creativity flows and you can settle in and work. Do you have such a place?

I'm not a writer in the traditional sense, but I like to journal. When I'm getting my thoughts down I like to move from place to place in whatever area I'm in. I find it hard to settle.

2. I'm not a writer, but I can't even keep up with my reading if I move from one location to another. No matter how short the distance or time between reads, it takes me a bit to sink back into the story.

3. Demi

Demi Member

I know that a lot of people have offices and desks to work with, but I don't have such luxuries. Therefore, I do all my writing in my room, in my bad. Listening to music while writing also help

4. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Feeling settled is a necessity for me. If I'm not comfortable or move around a lot, my concentration is totally zapped. When I was in college, I loved setting up shop on the quiet floor of the library in a study carrel near a window. I kept focused but could also let my eyes wander when I needed a break. It also kept me from getting distracted by stuff at home. I wonder if I could still use those carrels...

5. Julia

Julia Member

For me it depends on my mood. Sometimes I like to sit outside in the sunshine and write while enjoying the day. Other day I find this too distracting and I need to sit at my desk in front of my laptop with no noise. Sometimes I put on some music and it seems to inspire me.

6. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

That's a fair point, Books. I tend to get a bit worked up while I'm writing and feel the need to move around. I fidget endlessly otherwise, which just bugs those around me.

7. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

A cafe where I can people-watch, or shut in a warm train carriage (ones with the seperate 6-seat compartments) while it's travelling through the countryside. Rain on the windows is optional. Anywhere where I can think "what could be happening out there?" or "What if...?" and not be interrupted.

Ellie Jane likes this.
  8. Donna

Donna Member

If the words are really flowing I can write anywhere. I have a tendency to shut out everything around me and concentrate on my words. If the words aren't flowing, I need a quiet spot with no distractions.

Ellie Jane likes this.
  9. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

Donna, do you write with pen and paper or stick with typing things out on a laptop? I prefer journaling by hand, but I write work reports on my laptop.

10. Belle

Belle Member

I can write anywhere, really, but I've found that when the ideas are really flowing, it's easier for me to write with pen and paper as opposed to typing. I find that this helps to clarify my thinking.

11. Donna

Donna Member

Mostly pen and paper Ellie Jane. There' s just something very satisfying about the physical act of writing. Much like reading the physical book rather than a Kindle.