Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Do you finish boring books

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Julia, 3 Aug 2017.

1. Julia

Julia Member

When you start reading a new book, can you stop reading it if it's a little boring? Once I start reading a book I have to finish reading the book. Sometimes the book gets better and sometimes the book gets worse. My book club says that life is too short to read boring books. I say that we should try to give the author a chance. What do you do with a boring book?

Ellie Jane likes this.
  2. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

I'll finish reading it, but only if the book if it's a book club assignment. Earlier this year a hostess chose three books that no one liked, but per club rules, we voted for one of them. During the meeting it was painfully obvious that most of us failed to read it. It was bad manners and caused hurt feelings. Since then I've done my level best to read each book and gleefully participate.

3. jessica

jessica Active Member

I'll finish a boring book. It might get better;). I don't finish bad books::unsure::.

4. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

I'm with Jessica. If it's a bit boring, I can keep going, and hopefully, it does get better. If it's just awful, there's no way I'll finish it. My time is more valuable. When I worked in the library and did Reader's Advisory training a common thread was "Life's too short to read a bad book."

Ellie Jane and atry like this.
  5. I'm quick to put down a boring book. I love to read and have many books that I'd like to get to. If one doesn't suit me I'll just grab another. But, I have gone back to give some a second read and found them rather enjoyable the second time around.

6. atry

atry Member

If I'm bored because I'm not in the mood for it then I'll put it down and come back later. You never know, I might like it another day. I won't if it is boring boring, you know, when reading feels like watching paint dry.

Ellie Jane likes this.
  7. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

What do you consider to be a bad book? I absolutely cannot handle it when an author renames a character mid story or when an author mixes up who is who and uses the wrong character name.

8. Julia

Julia Member

I think I'd have to put the book down in that case. That's not a boring book, that's a horrible book. If the author is confused about who's who, how are we supposed to keep up?

Ellie Jane likes this.
  9. Demi

Demi Member

For a long time, I would not finish boring books. However I started trying to give the books more of a chance, and if I was near the end of the book, I figured I may as well finish it even if I didn't really like it.

10. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Isn't that better known as the Magnus Magnusson approach: "I've started so I'll finish"? I've done that for many years, but I haven't found the books improve very often. If the flaw is in the writing style and editing, then it won't magically improve unless they get a new or better editor just for those last pages. I still finish them all even so, because hope wins out over experience every time.