Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIVE Historical accuracy: film vs. books

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by MellyCross (On Hiatus), 12 May 2015.

1. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I'm afraid it does. People do like the more purient nature of some of these events. Usually along the I'm glad it's not me line.

Sad, but true.

2. porridge

porridge Member

Yeah but you sell more seats with Star Wars, and that doesn't harm anyone. (Save the Episode one cracks, I've heard 'em all.)

Yeah, I think filmmakers have to realise they have a lot of influence and should act responsibly, and if they don't care then its time the lawmakers tightened up.

3. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

But then how far do you go in making it totally accurate and then lose interest in the film your trying to make.

Gotta have some leeway in the telling even if you are keeping it accurate.

Where do you draw the line?

4. tirial

tirial Member

You'd hope at libel or where it would cause problems for surviving family or tarnish a deceased's legacy. Sadly, the cry of "It's entertainment" tends to drown that out.

5. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Personally I would have hoped they would draw the line where manners and civil behaviour still apply, or at least where they aren't acting like jerks. But then there is money involved and principles tend to be forgotten when that happens.