Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

In the Heart of the Sea (spoilers welcome)

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by Tregaron, 27 Dec 2015.

1. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Has anyone seen this? I was hoping to go this weekend, but I'm not sure how accurate to the history or the book it is.

Don't worry about spoilers, its a 15-year-old book that I've read a lot.

2. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

From what I'm reading it is based less on Nathaniel Philbrick's book than on "The Wreck of the Whaleship Essex", Owen Chase's memoir of the event that made him out as the hero. The problem is that the cabin boy's diary, found in 1950's I believe, contradicted key points and PhilBrick used both sources.

The film appears to be Owen Chase, hero whaleman, with shades of Moby Dick rather than about the Essex.

3. jessica

jessica Active Member

It wasn't as good as I hoped.

4. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Really, what was wrong with it? I was planning to see it but if it's not that good tell me now.

5. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

If its not like the book, I might just skip it.

6. jessica

jessica Active Member

If I said it has a formula and it sticks to it? You can pick the characters by the archetype, and the plot has a whale in it but the director wants to tell a story and not let facts or a really good book get in the way o_O ?

7. atry

atry Member

This isn't nice to admit, but I got bored. It was very average and, well, bland.

8. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Well that's a shame, I suppose I will pass on it then.

9. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Well, I know which book they think they've based it on. I just saw a copy of In The Heart of The Sea novelisation in the bookshop. It is Nathaniel Philbrick's book with a cover swap.

10. jessica

jessica Active Member

Oh, are some readers going to be in for a shock. Isn't Chase's book out of copyright? It must be after all these years.

11. skye

skye Member

Was the first book ever digitised? I mean I can see why they wouldn't release a book that's out of copyright or everyone would cash in on their movie. Although the money is in being the official tie-in, not the content, so only they could put the film stars on the cover. I'm confused.

12. tirial

tirial Member

Owen Chase's book is available - It's 99p on Amazon: B015QN5Q54 and rising in the ranks, funnily enough.

13. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Thank you for the link. I have decided to skip the film and get the other book.