Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Learning the Writing Skill

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Belle, 4 Jan 2018.

1. Belle

Belle Member

Is writing really a skill that can be learned, or is it more like something that you're born with? I've often wondered if becoming a great writer is something that can be taught to anyone. What are your thoughts?

Ellie Jane likes this.
  2. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

I believe people can improve their writing abilities by polishing up their grammar and spelling skills; however, I think most writers are born with the talent to craft compelling poems and stories.

3. Donna

Donna Member

I do too Ellie Jane. I believe one can improve their writing skills but for the most part they abilities just come naturally. I remember taking piano lessons for years as a child. I can read music, I can play the piano but the ability does not come naturally. I struggled all the way through.

4. natalie

natalie Member

I think writing is definitely a skill that can be learned and developed. Some people will be more gifted naturally at writing, but that doesn't mean the others can't learn...it will just be harder for them. I do think that storytelling is a natural gift though. I think you can develop it but I don't know if it will ever be on par with someone who has a natural ability.

5. Terry

Terry Member

It's like most things: to be really good at it takes both innate skill and a lot of practice.

Some people always have a knack for making up stories or getting a point across simply and easily (and yes I envy them for it). I'm dreadful at anything beyond a simple sentence or two and my descriptions are really basic.

Teaching/editing can make you a good writer. that last 10% requires talent, or possibly a ghost writer to do it for you.

6. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

For me, writing is something that anyone can do, and the more you learn about it the better.

It is also something that lots of practice will make you very good at, possibly even to bestseller level, given some of the books I have read.

You may not get to the level of Shakespeare or Austen, but certainly a lot of practice can get most people to the level of being noticed by others.

7. Jackie

Jackie New Member

Some people might be more naturally gifted at certain aspects of writing, but even those people would not be able to succeed if they never developed their craft by practicing constantly. I think writing is a skill that absolutely can - and must - be learned through regular practice. Reading is also an important part of the learning process!