Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for good horror

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Pipsqueak, 29 Dec 2015.

1. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak New Member

Hiya,

I was hoping to get some good pointers to any interesting, new horror books.

Not looking for anything paranormal, I'm bored of vamps n wolves.

Scarier the better.

2. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

If you've seen my "Stand-out Books" comment, this will be predictable. Is it alright to suggest paranormal if it is not werewolves and vampires? M.R. James wrote some truly disturbing psychological horror, but mainly used ghosts.

Spiderstalk, which I've recommended frequently recently, is a good horror story with touches of paranormal and action and I've hooked a few horror readers with one sentence...
    Combine modern day suspended flooring and ceilings...
    ...and a spider the size of a labrador

The London Bones is less horror than straight paranormal, so may not be for you, although it is still a recommended read. Dead Willow has a meandering plot with a 70's style lack of resolution, but some truly disturbing set pieces and imagery. Frank Tayell writes about zombies, and some of his books are extremely good because of his focus on the characters.

I know Angel is likely to recommend Willow Rose, but I prefer my horror psychological.

3. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak New Member

Hiya

Thanks for the ideas, I'll go look them up.

4. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I did like Willow Rose's style, she's a good author, and some more than others and they are worth a read. If you like one, there are several more to enjoy.

Other than that, horror's not really my genre, so I am unable to help further

5. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Most of the new ones do the same thing over and over.

Try some of the old classics and see if they do the trick. Gothic horror ain't what it used to be.

6. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

The Trinket Box by John Kaden is an interesting one, because it starts by tearing your heart out and treading all over it, and it is genuinely horrifying. And then the supernatural kicks in, and the horror actually lessens. There is an alternate interpretation which would make it a five, but I'm not sure if it's what the author intended or I'm overthinking it.

There's a review to follow.