Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Lost in Adaptation

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by skye, 3 Jan 2016.

1. skye

skye Member

Spinning off jessica's Bad Fanfiction Theatre thread, is anyone else a fan of Lost in Adaptation? The reviewer takes a book that's been adapted to a film, and compares the adaptation to the source material. It's really interesting.

I really liked his one of BladeRunner.

And wow, embedding videos is really easy!

2. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Interesting subject, I will have to watch a few more of those.

It's certainly something that should be tackled more often as theye can be quite the variance between the page and the screen as they appeal to different things.

There are plenty who will never admit that the Lord of the Rings trilogy on film can ever be as good as the book (endings aside) but it certainly attempted something that was thought impossible and bought it into the mainstream. I can think of other trilogies that might be better left in a book though.

I wonder if he will cover novelisations of films where someone has to write what happened on screen and add all the bits and pieces in that the audience can see, but has to be described to a reader.

3. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I am about to speak the most unlikely words on the internet from me: I am a huge fan.

I have been following him for a while, especially his Patreon, and yes I do sincerely hope Twilight wins the poll, just so he has to read it.

My favourite review is the Never Ending Story. I adore the book, was fond of the original film for different reasons as it carried a very different message, and hated the film sequels. What made his review special was that it contains what is to my mind the best attempt so far at putting the second half of the book onto screen. As he rightly says, not much has the budget for it, and it would make Lord of the Rings seem a small project.

Ah yes, here it is:

4. porridge

porridge Member

Put a warning on the time sinks, you're making late for the pub!

5. jessica

jessica Active Member

Oh wow, I've been looking for something like this for ages!! Thanks, I'm getting popcorn :D

6. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

So an interesting thread like that and I'm at work, so the videos don't play. Something to watch tonight perhaps.

7. Terry

Terry Member

One of those has already given me an idea to use elsewhere.