Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Micro Reviews Part IV

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Reader, 24 Jun 2017.

1. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I'm too old and life's too short:
    King of the Hoboes - I don't often drop a book at loc 190, but by that point we'd had a truly poor sex scene, "luscious melons" (Galia or Honeydew? Enquiring minds wish to know how she fitted them in her bra without crushing her breasts) and what killed it for me truly was the phrase "retard strength".
    This wasn't used by one character describing another, it was in the middle of a passage which means the author thought this was a valid way to describe someone and not a slur combined with a screaming insult.
    I did read to the end of the chapter by which point I had only one thing to say about Evan: why is she with this jerk? Please stop trying to live down to him.

Could not get into it:

Deep Black - It was a zombie book. Special forces against research station. There's nothing wrong with it, but I've read this scenario multiple times, played it in Resident Evil and others, seen it on film in Resident Evil, seen a lot of imitators of Resident Evil, and I just don't have it in me right now to read another one.
    My apologies, this really wasn't the book, it was entirely me.

It Sleeps at Dawn - I have one problem with this book. I have read the notorious Night Travels of the Elven Vampire, and even dared its sequel Eternity of Blood. The entry, where the vampire lures in a woman, rips her throat out then dismembers the corpse and throws it to some convenient dogs? I had flashbacks.
    When he started liking the same music it became hard to get into the story. I don't give his long term survival chances much. A vampire who starts sending paranormal investigators to his manor for food is going to get Van Helsing eventually. Or worse: Vampire Hunter D. This was not a good story. There were a couple of gory scenes, but it was handled so matter of factly, there was little atmosphere. Characters appear, then leave without often contributing to the story, e.g. Talan Gwynn who shows up with no introduction, says five lines, and leaves without changing anything in the story.Horror by the numbers is a nasty thing to say, but this is a story that needed a structural editor. Vampire in a castle killing people has been done so often it needs a twist or a very good writer to bring the horror.

Cutting too close to home:
    2084 - Please don't laugh. I nearly put this down when I opened it because the font was courier. It is a good story, which I finished, but I'm not reviewing it because of tirial's experiences with permanent medical contacts a.k.a. they would all be physically blind in under a year from the infections.

Fantastic, just let me type it up:
    Steve Vernon's Sea Tales: In the Dark and the Deep
    Most of the books from the Dinothon

Reveiwed, just let me type it up:
    Goblin Princess

2. tirial

tirial Member

Can I borrow that for Review Aside?

And thanks for the next set of reviews. I'll get them up depending on web access.