Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Mornington Crescent

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by Bookangel, 5 Jan 2016.

1. Threadmarks: Game 1
    Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Since my actual train went nowhere fast, anyone up for a game? Everyone knows the rules, and if not you can pick it up as we go.

And just to make it more fun, we're planing with the Overground variation, authorised in 2013 for online play.

Useful links
    Tube Map - for route and strategy planning
    The Little book of Mornington Crescent - a history of the game on Amazon

And I shall start with the extremely controversial move:
    Denmark Hill

2. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Oh for shame. A new board, a new game and you have to start like that. I'll refer you to Millican's Periodical from 1953 (surprisingly advanced for its time) on the correct way to start in such situations.

However, you have at least given the option to open the game up for all to enjoy:

Clapham Junction

3. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Well, that move certainly throws my options open, but after careful consideration I don't think I'll be as nice. Enjoy your dead end.

Morden

4. porridge

porridge Member

Ah, but there's an easy way out of that if you know the counter. Saw it played in 1990, but its in the 1952 varient.

London Bridge

5. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Excellent move there, porridge.

I'll go one step on with the Monopoly addendum, putting us nicely on

Fenchurch Street

6. Terry

Terry Member

Moorgate

No, I have no idea what I'm doing. Is that valid?

7. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I'll do that English thing and complain about lawns.

Old Street

8. Bookangel

Old Street? I think I can see where you're going with that, Kindler, but you forget. We're playing with the overground rules and that gives a very easy out from your planned route using the Cheshunt diversion. (and I love the station's name)

Turkey Street

9. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Oh how appropriate.

Overground rules all ready into play I see. Well to prevent a bit of a bottleneck later on and keeping in theme, which also gains me a yellow token:

Canary Wharf

10. skye

skye Member

Can I play Waterloo?

Waterloo

Is that a move? Please can someone tell me the rules?

11. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

There is a link to the rules in the first post.

Thank you for Waterloo. By the Jubilee amendment, sub-clause 3.4 that opens a direct link cross London. So there's only one real move any player of sense would make.

Southwark

And I claim my yellow token.

12. Terry

Terry Member

We need a yellow token now?

I'm gonna try Oval

Still no clue

13. tirial

tirial Member

No, no, no, that's just not cricket. There's only one move after the Waterloo and Southwark combination for any experienced player. So, since I am a contrary soul, (and porridge already played it) I'm not using it. Play your way out of this one:

Hatton Cross

14. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Amateur. England was playing Test Cricket today, so by the related Sports and Gamer addendum (1973, Collins), Oval just sets up a one man in- one man out maneuver, so we can go straight to

St John's Wood

just don't let's head to Dollis Hill

15. jessica

jessica Active Member

Why, would Dollis Hill be a problem for you? *bats eyelashes* Well since you don't like Hatton Cross, I;d better avoid the area completely...

Heathrow Terminal 5

16. porridge

porridge Member

Since you've stumped 'em all, I'll throw my tuppence worth in. Useless lot always forget the bus routes can be used on the third Wednesday on the month under the Scottish amendment of 1921. Learn the rules!

Acton Town

17. jessica

jessica Active Member

I'm quite well aware of that, and yes, you've prevented my Shephard's bush gambit. Very clever :mad: but since its now Thursday after hours and the Night Bus routes are available, which you appear to have forgotten, I'm going to claim my yellow token and play the classic counter:

Queensway

18. Bookangel

Oh how nice of you to leave open the rather literary-themed:

Notting Hill Gate

19. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

And from literary to film, that's easy enough to follow...

...the place is Street: Bond Street

20. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Well, well, it appears that certain people are trying the English Mustard Gambit (I remember the game that coined it from the St. Ives invitational 1968. Poor Col. Mustard forever tarred by the Cluedo ruling).

So, to prevent taking any penalties, I will be playing that Yellow Token moving us to:

Kensington High Street

and declaring play to go Widdershins