Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

'Nope' books

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Tregaron, 15 Jul 2017.

1. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

'Nope' Book: Books which look so promising at the start and then make you say 'Nope' and put it back on the shelf or in the bin in a hurry and wander off in search of something to help you forget you read it. Yes I did make the term up, but after Reader's reaction (which has to be the ultimate nope) in the thread about book damage, were there any books which prompted the 'Nope' reaction in you?

I did try 'Night of the Kraken' after Dinothon, and 'Nope-d out' at the point where the exclusively lesbian engineer asked the male captain for sex. It set very bad signs for the rest of the book, and I'd read @Reader's review.

Books Bits 'n Bobs likes this.
  2. I understand your reaction. I don't mind helping the author along by using my imagination and filling in the blanks, but some things defy all odds. Your example is one of them. Let me guess, Tregaron, the author that wrote about the lesbian engineer asking the captain for sex was a male author. Just a wild guess.

I 'nope' out of horror and anything with descriptive violence or child abuse. It's okay if the story line alludes to violence, but it must be brief and vague. Nothing too horrible. I just can't handle it.

3. Terry

Terry Member

For me, anything that strays into glurge territory. I know most people will sit and giggle at the stupidity of it all, but I just give up on those kind of things.

Books Bits 'n Bobs likes this.
  4. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Sci-fi books and anything that that totally breaks the story out of the reality it has set out.

That goes double for Sci-fi deus ex machina endings when the writer throws something in completely out of the blue because they have no clue how to end the story.

5. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Kindler, I have to agree with deus ex machina endings. One of my biggest pet peeves.

Most "nope" don't grab my attention. I try to give most books 50-100 pages or so, depending on length, and if it's not grabbing me, I'll put it aside.

I've only come across one book where I got to a scene and just closed the book. The book was rather interesting, then comes a very descriptive, violent scene. I just couldn't handle it.

6. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

I "nope" out of books the second the author begins mixing up the characters' names. There isn't a specific genre that I dislike, but if any author can't be bothered to remember who is who, it's too much for me.

7. jessica

jessica Active Member

I 'noped out' on an 'adult' romance. The cover was with a guy with the flowing hair and a swooning woman;). Five pages in it said that the leading lady was 14:silent:.

Nope.