Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Private Label Rights v. Ghostwriting

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Books Bits 'n Bobs, 8 Aug 2017.

1. Have you ever heard of private label rights when it comes to books, articles, and other written material? Well, I hadn't until yesterday when I attended a marketing conference on the behest of my boss. I understand why someone might be willing to hire a talented writer to craft their book or marketing material, but I don't understand what the difference is between private label rights and ghostwriting. Will you clue me in please?

2. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Ghostwriting: paying a good writer to write something readable with an aim to make money and provide a book readers will enjoy.
    PLR: Buying 600 churned low-quality articles (often computer generated or by non-English speakers) in one bundle, seperating them into ebooks roughly by topic and putting them up on Amazon to make money until Amazon notices or too many one stars come in and they get pulled.

One is writing. One is get-rich-quick.

Books Bits 'n Bobs likes this.
  3. Yes, that seemed to be the running theme! It felt very much like an MLM party. Bit like a Younique presenter crowding you in to sell that ridiculous mascara. I thought PLR might be jargon for material that is created for marketing because the speaker kept saying the articles and books could be tailor made to your particular business.

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I have reviewed a few. They have been universally dreadful, with writing styles that change between chapters as they have been stitched together by articles from different authors. The way they are "tailored to your business" would be by selecting five or six articles and assembling them into a book. I have read pure marketing literature which is better written and more entertaining.

The true confusion comes because PLR in the UK has meant Public Lending Rights for many years, which is where authors receive funds for their book being lent out by public libraries. This is a good thing. Books made of duplicate content are not such a good thing.

Books Bits 'n Bobs likes this.
  5. Demi

Demi Member

Interesting, I had no idea about private label rights. What everyone above me has written about it is very insightful, and it makes the difference between ghostwriting and private label rights clear.